• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good problem to have

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe sebia

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 50 TC Flint that was a cantankerous piece to shoot accurately. After following the advice of one Dutch S. it finally shoots respectfully with about 1.5-2" @ 50 yds. With 85g FF,a 0.490 RB and a .007 patch.

I found a nice 54 cal long rifle at a yard sale that needed a little a TLC that I thought would be a nice project gun. Some stock refinishing, liberal use of gun oil, and a good scrub was all it needed.

Using the DS method and some patch material from the 50 cal, I took it out for a test drive. Starting at 75 g FF I fired 3 shots with a one stroke wipe in between and saw little promise and went to 80 g. Better but not by much. 85 had 3 shots on top of each other, so I fired 2 more for effect and stricter adherence to Dutch's instruction. 5 shots just inside a quarter. 90g had the group opening up again 5 shots were about 3-4" group. I stopped there for the day.

So, I know I got lucky that this gun likes the same patch and lube (6:1 water:ballistol). Do I bother going any further with higher charges? 85g FF and a .535 ball is all I'll ever need for this gun ie PA deer where a 150 lb'er is a big one.

Question 2 is, does it makes sense to have a 54 cal that for all intents and purposes is a duplicate of the 50 cal if not a little less? (Besides the argument of having more rifles is always better!!! :wink: ).

Do I keep going up in charge ( to about 110) hoping for a more powerful, yet accurate load that I have no need for?

Decisions decisions :hmm:

I got my ideas (leave well enough alone and keep it simple)but would like to hear yours :hatsoff:

BTW I shot the rifle one more time and repeated the 5 shot group at +/- 1". This rifle is deadly though poi is about 4" low at 50 yds. EZ fix with file.

I will post pic's of gun and targets in a few days. Gotta free up some time to shoot.

Don't tell THE ADMIRAL that the number and caliber of guns I own is supposed to make sense.

I'm a fan of .54 over .50 for deer hunting. But any size ball kills paper just fine. Unlike rock-paper-scissors. ;-)

You better stop now, or you will begin to wonder about the potential of smoothbores, and like flintlock rifles, smoothbores come in various barrel openings, as well.

A .50 cal. TC began my plunge into this "hobby" nearly 50 years ago, and I'm still collecting stuff! :doh:

Here's hoping we Pennsylvania flintlockers can hold on to our unique "flintlocks only" season in the coming years, and 50 yard groups continue to fascinate us at the range.

Best wishes next season as you face deciding which flintlock to tote on a cold and snowy January morning. I wouldn't be too surprised to read in the future that your decision became more difficult as your "collection" increased. :hatsoff:

Years ago I used 120grns 2f in my 54 long rifle. Fully penetrated a bull moose with large exit hole.

As I shot it more and more it preferred 75-85grns shooting much better groups with 2f or 3f [at 75grn] and way less recoil. I still exits deer on every broadside shot.

It's a delight to read of your experiments. YOU ARE A LITTLE LOOSE IN JUMPING YOUR POWDER CHARGE IN 5 GRAIN LEAPS. AND YOUR DRY LUBE MIX STOPPED AT 6 TO 1. what did 7 to 1 do?
People will jump from patching , from one compressed measurement to another and skip all those in between.

All in all I was most pleased to read your post. It sowed the thinking that gets people doing accurate work and encouraging the sport by their own success.

If you were a sub subscriber of mine I could feel some pride as well.

Dutch Schoultz

I agree that you were lucky in having the same patching, and apparently lubee mix work on two different rifles. I had the same luck and it does eliminate a lot of bother

I am a subscriber of yours so thank you for shortening the learning curve.

I am going to assume you are talking about the TC. I spent more effort on that rifle than I should but it made me even more determined to get it shooting.

On that one I started at 50g and worked up then started using patches and cigarette papers to get to .007 patch thickness. When I started to adjust the lube I stopped at6:1 as this was solely a hunting rifle. 2" @ 50 was good enough. I had spent alt of time and effort. Frankly I was tired of it.

I used the 5g increments because that is what the measure is calibrated for. I guess I could go to 2.5g or get another measure.

As for the 54, I think that was the ML gods rewarding me for my patience with the 50.
I doubt I can shoot much better than that although the rifle may very well be capable.

Thank you for your mentoring.

Thank you for the kind words patriot. All the best to you also. Yes we are lucky to be able to enjoy our sport in a beautiful time :hatsoff: of year.

A .54 is my favorite caliber, even though the .50 is no slouch, and I love my .32 also. But don't let the similar powder loads make you think the .54 is a duplicate of your .50. At least not til after you make meat with it. That .04" in caliber makes for a 20-25% heavier bullet, and it's that weight that makes the biggest difference.

Back