• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good Flintlock Hunt in Kentucky

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdixon

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Good weekend flintlock hunting in Kentucky - 6 point buck and a button buck. Still have a couple of doe tags to fill - going back out this weekend. :thumbsup:
6PointFlinter3.jpg
6PointFlinter4.jpg

ATTABOY J.R. Congrats! now what's with the pistol on the doe????? and where's the bleepin story? ain't heard a pistol kill story yet....????????????? or was it a "finishing" shot? nice goin ! RC

J.R.:
Nice looking deer there. Any story to tell?? Beautiful looking rifle ,too. Make? Cal.? Load?
Nice job :hatsoff:

snagg

Sorry, was in a rush this morning when I did the original post (as you can tell by the hack job on the photographs - they look like ...) Rifle is a Tennessee Mountain Rifle .50 cal. 36" GM barrel, L&R Durs Egg lock, hunting load is 75 grains of Swiss. Took the buck 25' up in a self-climber, @ 25 yrds. He was chasing a doe. Hit him high near the spine and dropped him on the spot. Took a second shot to complete the deed.

The pistol is a Pedersoli Kentucky Bounty (modified slightly) in .50 that I built over the summer. Took it out hunting the first time this trip. I have been working on a post on this gun which I will be able to get out as soon as the distraction of deer season is over around here. Load was 65 grains of Swiss @ 35 yrds w/ a PRB, Mr. Button Buck went about 60 yrds and went down.

J.R. good job on those deer. I enjoyed reading about your hunt. Nice pistol too!

-SHOOEY!

Congrats on your success! :hatsoff:
Some fine lookin' guns too. :thumbsup:

And they told me you can't kill a deer with a ML pistol... :yakyak:

Congrats on the Bucks :thumbsup: !The button with pistol :hatsoff: ! :applause:

jethro224 said:
Congrats on your success! :hatsoff:
Some fine lookin' guns too. :thumbsup:

And they told me you can't kill a deer with a ML pistol... :yakyak:

Everyone - thanks for the Kudos on the hunt. As many know here, nothing like taking deer with a flinter you built.

As for the MZ pistol myth, put that one to rest eh? That Bounty pistol is an strange looking thing with a 16 1/2" barrel and over 22" long but, it packs a punch. I have run it over a graph and @ 60 gr. of Swiss it is producing a MV over 1475 fps.! That converts to something like 820 fpe which beats out some of the .44 Magnum cartridges. Inside of 70 yrds. it is a viable hunting weapon in my estimation. Like I said I will put up a post laying out the particulars on this pistol at a later date with better photos.

I tried to get a doe last winter with my Great Plains Pistol in .54 caliber but couldn't find a doe to shoot. :( I plan to take another crack at it this January. Here in Illinois, the only legal time to use a ML pistol is during the late-winter antlerless season. :youcrazy:

Congrats on a fine hunt. I'll be looking forward to your post on the pistol. That has me intrigued to no end.

Way to go on those deer, nice lookin' guns. I have always wanted a pistol and you just may have pushed me over the edge!!!! :hatsoff:

wess

Back