• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

gold lining a flash pan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricklandes

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just did a search for my subject and came up blank.

Would someone(s) be so kind as to share how you go about lining a pan? I am planning on using a small 1 gram piece of .9999 bar that I have.

Best I can remember is to raise a rough surface in the pan with a small punch and rub/swage to gold into place. Somewhat like Velcro if you will.

What about the edges of the pan how to seal the surface tight?

I have the lock mirror finished and plan on doing a rust blue to be removed into a French Grey finish. When step wise do I line the pan. I am believing it is before the rust bluing???

This is on a Chambers Golden Age lock if that makes an installation difference.

I'm not sure if the edges are normally done, if you mean the top flats. I don't remember, but could be either way. Just a wag, but I would think before the rust blue so that there is little chance of rust coming back under the gold, but I could be wrong. If I were doing it, I would use a small triangular punch type tool to raise a sharp pointy bur, and do them in multiple directions. Just my thoughts on it. I've never tried it. Roy Stroh might give you better info.

Rick
Never done a pan, but have some experience "plating" furnishings on furniture (in a prior life). Best technique I found was to use Borax, the real stuff, not the flavored variety found in supermarkets, as a flux. Application is about like silver-soldering. Surface must be absolutely clean and oil free. Don't worry about bonding at the edges, it's plenty stuck. Delineating a "sharp" cut-off at the top might be a problem and I offer no suggestions, other that to say you won't be able to scribe a cut-off line and peel up the exces, as I said, it become "one" with whatever you apply it to.
Good luck
John

Thats how I was thinking I would apply it like a solder... basically tin the pan.. I have inlaid silver and brass in barrels.. but it had to be thicker so it could be engraved.

Back