• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

glass cleaner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed zeransky

40 Cal.
Reaction score
anybody use glass cleaner to clean their barrel? I tried it and it seems to work great. like 3-4 patches and its clean! I just wonder why more guys don't use it?

I have heard of using glass cleaner and They claim it works and it should be ok but be careful what you use. I decided try it once, couldn't find it so I (had a brain fart moment)tried a bathroom cleaner. I wasn't thinking and it was also a rust remover so where it touched the barrel, it removed the blueing.

Every possible thing has been used to clean B/P guns, what is wrong with plain tepid water?

Nothing wrong with just plane old water but I think windex
works better.

This was one of the standards years back for patch lube at the range and for clean-up.

colorado clyde said:
pittsburgh longhunter said:
like 3-4 patches and its clean!

I think I would be checking it for rust every day for a couple of weeks.

I would think it wouldn't matter just as long as you ran a Barricade (or your favorite gun oil) patch after cleaning, like you should.

After hearing from a gunmaker in Oregon from whom I had bought a .40 flinter, I tried Windex. After three patches it was clean, Ran a couple of dry patches then a patch with Barricade, That was two months ago. After reading this and after two weeks, I checked the barrel and no rust what so ever. So it appears the Windex does a great job of cleaning and the Barricade is doing it's part.
Is it the best method? Not sure yet but will use it until I see a problem with it.
Mike C.

I find that it is the best when I add just a bit of dish soap to the tepid water. But, that's just what works best for me. There are folks who swear by everything from creek water to buzzard whizz and a lot of man made stuff in between. I just find that warm water with a dab of dish soap gets the cleaning job done quite well for me.

I've found a product called "Glass Plus" does as fabulous job of cutting through BP residue "Crud" that accumulates on the lock, nipple.. whatever, wherever. MUCH more effective than plain water.
Of course, when I feel the desire to be more "HC" :bow: I use only water drawn from a natural creek that was verifiably mentioned in one of the longhunter's journals (Boone, Crockett, Kenton, etc)... :hmm: I wouldn't want any of that modern "Tap Water" stuff to destroy the authenticity of my overall experience. I don't think they even ALLOW tap water at some rendezvous' do they...?? :grin:

I looked up the MSDS for Windex. It has greater than 60% water, less than 10% alcohol and seven other ingredients of less than 1% each, a surfactant (soap), fragrance, amine, inorganic base, solvent, pigment and a preservative.

In short water, a bit of alcohol and a smidgin of soap. So it shouldn't do any harm and may be marginally better than soapy water. Maybe. Just make sure you don't use a window cleaner with ammonia in it.

pittsburgh longhunter said:
anybody use glass cleaner to clean their barrel? I tried it and it seems to work great. like 3-4 patches and its clean! I just wonder why more guys don't use it?

Why not use it?
It is well documented that the real mountain men carried large quantities of things like Windex, automatic transmission fluid,patch lubricants in plastic squeeze bottles and pressurized spray cans of parts lube in their mule packs. Be authentic, do like they did.

Back