• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Glass bedding help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Brooks

Cannon
Reaction score
I was going to Accraglass bed a barrel yesterday and found out my blue goo release agent dried up. What else can I use for a release agent?

Any good wax. Car wax,Birchwood Casey gun wax,probably even bees wax. Just make sure you wax it a couple of times so that you are sure not to miss a spot. With common sense, you won't have any problems.

Mike,

I am by no means an expert. Not even close! :grin: But I have done a couple of bedding jobs and I've used spray on case lube as the release agent. I've heard of others using "PAM" kitchen spray as well as other assorted oils and so on. When using the spray on case lube, I didn't have any problems but I was really careful to make sure that all parts that contacted the bedding compound were coated very well.

Hope this helps,

Schützenkette

I've had the same experience over the years as Dave K. Doesn't seem to matter which wax, so long as you get good coverage. I've used the BC stock wax on the last few bedding jobs I've done, simply because there was already a bottle on my bench and it was easier than searching for a can of car wax that hadn't dried up. Worked just as well.

riverrat43 said:
I know of a smith who swears by saran wrap. He says it works like a charm as long as you don't get a tear in it.

I've done it this way too and it works. This was done only for forend stock to barrel work. I wouldn't do this in the areas where your metal part may poke a hole in the plastic.

Johnsons paste wax works. I also put some vaseline on any screws that will come in contact with the bedding compound.

i've used any form of heavy grease on hand for many years, apply it thin and even, and everything comes apart easy

Mike, Johnson's paste wax works better and a lot neater than the stuff Brownell's includes in their kit. The kind in a can for buffing floors.

I've used a lot of different things (including Pam and paste wax) and the only thing I will still use is Brownell's Acra Release aerosol. This is what it is designed for and I have never found anything better. I use two coats, not because they are needed but just in case I miss a spot with the firt one.
[url] http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1045&title=ACRA-RELEASE[/url]?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Brooks said:
I was going to Accraglass bed a barrel yesterday and found out my blue goo release agent dried up. What else can I use for a release agent?

Mike, you can consider yourself fortunate the 'blue goo' went to pot!
I have bedded a Sh**-load of firearms with Acraglas-Gel and switched to Trewax paste floor wax (same as Johnsons) LONG ago. 'Was hesitant the first time but NEVER looked back. The metal when released will leave its EXACT copy where it 'popped' from without the plastic wrap wrinkles or fuzz left by the blue stuff. A thin coat of wax is all that is necessary just be sure to coat everything. I have found from experience that as well as coating the wood a thin coat of AG in the metal helps to avoid any voids caused by air bubbbles. Use plenty of AG and let it 'poop' out when seated.
Try it, you will convert also :thumbsup:

:nono: It's going to stick to the bedding and cause lumps, crease and pieces will tear off in the bedding compound and it will be a mess. You will not get a good flush finish with this stuff. As for a make do release agent if you must, use CRISCO - same stuff that should be used to grease patches. But before you do this bedding deal try to immagine the rest of your ownership of this firearm under conditions where the lumber is permanently affixed to the metal. Then decide if you should take the time to contact Brownells and order more over the shelf release agent. Second best is - second best.

Deaconjo said:
:nono: It's going to stick to the bedding and cause lumps, crease and pieces will tear off in the bedding compound and it will be a mess. You will not get a good flush finish with this stuff. As for a make do release agent if you must, use CRISCO - same stuff that should be used to grease patches. But before you do this bedding deal try to immagine the rest of your ownership of this firearm under conditions where the lumber is permanently affixed to the metal.
I would not "make do" with anything that had permanent consequences on something that I had big $'s and/or lots of my time into... [but] on the 'up-side' if you glue it in you can throw away the barrel pins and plug the pin holes :haha:

[Just kidding, THAT would not be funny :( ]

Welp looks like you got a lot of suggestions that work. My last glass bedding job I couldn't find the release agent so I eyed some Birchwood Casey gunstock wax and applied some of that, worked like a charm. :thumbsup:

I ran out of the blue goo some time ago and haven't used anything but Johnson's paste wax since. Two coats of wax seems to work perfect everytime..
Ken

Well, thanks guys! :bow: I didn't get anywhere near doing a glass bedding job today, but finished fixing fence instead. Not too many nice days left to do that sort of thing out doors.
You're probably all wondering what the heck I'm doing messing with accraglass anyway. :youcrazy: I'm bedding the barrel channel of my next kit pattern....won't be long now. :wink:

I use automotive paste wax when I completely bedded a barrel on NW gun that had been over inlet and had a lot of slop in the wood to metal fit that let fir needled get under the barrel it came apart ok, I had a gunbuilder friend help me in case there was a problem but it came apart pretty easy.

Back