• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chips around butt plate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Navy Arms 12g. SxS with small chips around the top of the butt plate. How would you repair these to make them less noticeable?

95B28C25-A423-442E-8FD6-0C9F52B5F1E1.jpeg
142500E9-0434-4024-AB29-854FAECC1390.jpeg

Would you use something like Acraglass, either gel or liquid or wood glue with sawdust? I can remove the plate and sand underneath it for a match. Also I’m assuming the best way is to do the repair with the plate installed with a release agent. Okay experts, give some help.

Depends on what you want it to look like. For a hunting gun leave it alone. For looks square up the edges then inlet and glue in a piece of wood and re-inlet the buttplate. It also looks like the return on the BP is bent.

Pretty much as said already. You would need to saw/cut/rasp all the bad wood off, glue on a piece of new wood that large enough to rasp and sand back to the original shape. Then experiment with a stain color to blend in the new wood. I wouldn’t try a half way fix, I personally would either fix it right or leave it as is.

It probably is bent. I suspect at sometime in its past before I got it it was dropped on the butt plate. It is a hunting gun and I don’t want to tackle re-inletting the butt plate.

Get a scrap of walnut and sand it down with 100 grit sandpaper.

Mix the fine dust with Tite Bond III wood glue until it's a wood putty consistency.

Pack the area and let dry 24 hours.

Then reprofile the area using fine files and sandpaper.

All of the above…. If you do patch it with wood or a glass, you will know it’s there. If you leave it, you will know it’s there.
For me, I look at my shotguns as tools. I don’t abuse them, but I don’t polish out nicks or dings in my hammers or other tools. If I pound nails, I expect the hammer to show some signs of wear.

Its a call for what you’re willing to overlook or take in stride. :dunno:

Any kind of filler that is used will look like filler forever. Either stain it to make it look like old damage or shorten the stock and re-inlet it. It takes a real expert to add another piece of wood and make it unnoticeable.

Thanks Ohio Rusty. I have a big chunk of Nebraska black walnut I’ve been carting around for way too many years with the idea of making a gunstock from it. I can just sand a side smooth on it.

Thanks to 64Springer for the suggestion. I’m anxious to see how it holds up. I think it was caused by a hard drop on the buttplate prior to my ownership.

Back