• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Glass bedding a T/C Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a T/C Hawken and just bought a GM barrel for it. I would like to glass bed it but haven’t done anything like this before. How hard is it to do.

Very easy. Just make sure you cover the barrel well with the mould release, and tape off the innards where the wedge keys go, or any place else you don't want the stuff.

After a few hours you might want to check on it before it completely hardens and knock some of the excess that you see that oozed out off.

As the others said it’s not difficult but you need to be careful about not locking the parts together. What do you expect to accomplish by glass bedding it. Strength, accuracy, or weatherproofing? There’s no need for it in my mind but it gives a fellow something to do. :dunno:

I glass bedded a TC Hawken years ago. The groups shrunk dramatically. I was using a Lyman #57 peep sight that attached to the tang. Eliminating the barrel movement relative to the tang was a good thing. The factory letting was sloppy.

Be careful in the area where the barrel and tang come together at the breech. When you remove or install the barrel the barrel needs to rotate and drop a little deeper into the barrel channel than the bedding compound.

Assembled a .50 TC Hawken kit in 1975 and didn't glass bed it and found out that it wouldn't have been necessary for excellent accuracy. Seeing I was just getting into MLing, this was my first rifle and used it on squirrels....of course only head hits were taken and this rifle really nailed 'em. Later on I built a .45 and the Hawken was used for only deer.

The TC bbl in .50 cal. is 15/16" across the flats and I don't think glass bedding would have improved accuracy.....it wouldn't have an effect on such a sturdy bbl.

Prior to getting into MLing, I shot bench rifles that weighed 19 lbs and had 20X scopes and these were all glass bedded and the results were 10 shots inside a dime sized circle at 100 yds.

If you must do something on your TC, glass bed it , but don't think it will improve accuracy....mine didn't need it.....Fred

To test the theory, shim the tow flats adjacent to the bottom flat at the breech and near the muzzle. Use card stock. My results were quite an impressive accuracy improvement.

Sorry, "two" Shim the flats on each side of the bottom flat. This creates a V-block effect that captures the barrel so it can not move between shots.

Latest posts

Back