• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getz Barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mariner

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has experience with Getz barrels. Are they good quality and do they shoot accurately?

Getz barrels have a good name I gather current ones are produced in less numbers than in Don Getz time but all I've used where exellent
,Rudyard

I really should have made the following disclaimer with respect to my Getz barrel. I have had the barrel for about 40 years and have been shooting the barrel for the last 10 years. It took me about 25 years to finally get the Derringer rifle completed. Work and family can slow construction down.

my getz barrel at 50yrdsthe gun to the left
DSC03033 (2).JPG
DSC03041.JPG

I had two longrifles built using Getz barrels with round bottom grooves, and factory coned muzzles. Both were flintlocks, with hand assembled large Siler locks. One in .50 caliber, and one in .62 caliber. I ordered both barrels with 1:48" rates of twist.

Both barrels shot extremely accurately out to 100 yards on targets. With my lousy eyesight, offhand, at 100 yards, on any given day, aged 25-47, I could expect a 4"-5", 5-shot group. In the hands of a good offhand shooter with excellent eyesight, both of the barrels were capable of putting 5 shots under a 50 cent piece at 100 yards.

From a bench, which I seldom shot from, both barrels could keep 5 shots under 1" at 50 yards, all day long. Most of the time, 5 shots looked like one ragged hole, if the bench shooter was doing their part.

Ball diameter for both barrels was 0.005" under bore diameter. Patch material was thick enough, I never measured its thickness, to completely fill the grooves, imprint the weave of the material into the lead ball, and push 99.9999% of the spent fouling down onto the new powder charge when seating the new patched ball. This allowed multiple repeat shots, ad infinitum, without needing to ever clean the barrel.

For shooting targets, the powder charge for the .50 caliber barrel was 70 grains of fffg black powder by volume; and for the .62 caliber barrel it was 75 grains of fffg black powder by volume.

If I had hunted back in those days, I would have had no issues using those powder charges/balls/patch material combinations to deer hunt with. Only thing needing changed would have been moving to an animal-based lube, instead of spit.

Last edited:
Back