• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting into flintlocks???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerem0621

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a few T/C New Englanders in percussion. A .50 and a .54. I am constantly looking out for a shotgun barrel but they are hard (and expensive) to come by.

I had a pretty bad experience with a .50 cal CVA flintlock and I gave it to my brother, pretty much to be an heirloom piece for him. (It's pretty)

Anyway, I would like to get a good flinter this time. I am impressed with the accuracy and build quality of my T/C New Englanders, I had a Hawken T/C in percussion but I traded it off or sold it or something.

I am thinking about trying to buy a Renegade or a T/C Hawken in Flint if I can find one. I'd probably buy a complete stock off of eBay and try to add a smoothbore barrel.

I know that user Roundball was a big T/C flint guy when I was active on her in 08 ish...

What is your opinion on this? Should I buy a T/C Flinter or should I try to buy/build a custom gun from Sitting Fox, TVM, etc?

The idea behind this is to get into a smooth bore flinter for $300-500.00 but I am not sure I can even do this with the T/C..

Thanks!

Jim

Well I am replying to my own thread.. LOL..

It appears I can build my "Dream" Hawken using a mix of parts from eBay and Track of the Wolf..

A New Flint L&R lock from TOTW is about $150.00
Stock assembly from ebay, minus lock and barrel is about $100.00-150.00 is well used condition (needs refinished)

Then I got to figure out a barrel situation. I could buy a used barrel and "brown" it just to make it look the way I want or I could hold out for a Green Mtn. Smoothy to show up. Maybe both?

Doing this, I may be able to be in a nice, semi custom, T/C Flint Hawken for around $400-450.00

If you think you need a SB flintlock, I would go the kit route. But if you want a flintlock rifle, than a TC Hawken is as good as anybodies flintlock. Plus they are easy to find and don't cost a pile of money. May be the best plan, just to make sure you actually like flintlocks. :grin:

I love my cap locks.

I tried with the CVA flint lock and i was not too impressed..but I know that CVA is not the best example. I probably didn't put enough effort into it.

Thanks

There have quite a few New Englander shotgun barrels showing up on ebay here this fall. Sometimes you can buy one reasonably.

If you want a TC flinter smoothbore, TC made some .56cal, so keep an eye open on the auction sites including gunbroker.

As for building one from existing parts, I think a Renegade would be the better basis with its 1" barrel. The shotgun style butt will be friendlier than the crescent on the Hawken. If you find one with a pitted bore for an inexpensive price, just have it reamed out to up to .62 smooth. You might also want to consider buying an octagon to round barrel 1" at the breech and have a TC style flint breech installed. You could end up with a longer, lighter smoothie. The stuff is avaialable from Track of The Wolf.

Hmm, what companies reem out barrels? This is interesting.

Also, I like the idea of building a custom octagon to round barrel for a renegade.

Thanks!

If you want to bore to a larger caliber, rifled or smooth, send it to Bob Hoyt in Fairfield, Pa. Its less $ than a new barrel.

IIRC, his busniess name is the Frieshutz Shop.

You guys are great! I just spoke with Mr. Hoyt (well a few hours ago) and he told me that he could take an old renegade barrel and ream it out to a .20 ga smoothy...and he is VERY affordable.

This project is starting to take shape in my mind.

TC Renegade stock, custom L&H lock, TC Renegade Muzzleloader barrel that is rusted out. Have Mr. Hoyt bore it out to a .20 ga and I refinish the stock and barrel as needed.

Getting excited about this project!!

and now the idea is planted get cracken and see whatyou can come up with

Yup, I am already trolling on eBay...

The Mrs. Just asked me what I wanted for Christmas....

hmmm

Should I go for the new lock for Christmas? Hmmm.. Maybe I should..

I took a similar route with my Renegade 50 cal. caplock. The original barrel was sitting in the safe once replaced with a GM barrel. Had it bored out by Ed Rayl to a true 62 cal. smoothie. Haven't tried it as a shotgun yet but it is surprisingly accurate with PRB well beyond 50 yards.

If I wanted a flint version (and I do), I might do the same thing but with a used Lyman GPR flinter as a starting point. Hmmmmm!

Jeff

Back