• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Englander flint conversion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuckyjed

.45, .50, .62 cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have scoured the forum and found some information on flint conversions for the T/C New Englander. Most info that was found was from as late as 2010. I was wondering if anyone has done any conversions recently and might have some pointers. I have a NE in .50 cal and found a T/C flintlock to fit, I just need to cut off the snail etc. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Sell the new Englander, save some$$ , and buy a nice flintlock. Unless you are a professional gunsmith with machinery, you may ruin a nice rifle. It’s your gun, but I would not try it.

I have scoured the forum and found some information on flint conversions for the T/C New Englander. Most info that was found was from as late as 2010. I was wondering if anyone has done any conversions recently and might have some pointers. I have a NE in .50 cal and found a T/C flintlock to fit, I just need to cut off the snail etc. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
I would not butcher that New Englander Barrel...no way...

after snail removed,clean well use some hi-nickle rod. let cool,then belt sand n file flat, install lock mark top n bottom of pan. find center than 1/32 above drill n tap 1/4 x28 for flash hole. with hook scribe remove burrs inside from drill n tap. tc lock use same mortice. have completed 6 on renagades all went off fist try. good luck

Had it for sale on the forum but realized the shipping was crazy high, withdrew it, so it's been at a local gun shop for around 2 months with no luck and the synthetic stock was going with it. Sold several ML there no hassle with shipping. I got this on a trade it came with a synthetic stock and I found a nice original walnut stock for it. All the bluing was removed and everything was browned. I will probably post the stock on the forum. I got a deal on a flintlock that fits in the stock perfect. I have access to and use metal working tools almost everyday so it's no big deal to saw off the snail and tang, plug the existing hole and drill the touch hole. I was just wondering if anyone had done any recently since the last post about it was around 2010. Thought that there might be any better pointers out there, like hacksaw versus porta-band, or anything else. Thanks for the comments/replies.

Back