• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

German,Double Barrel Side x Side

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyW

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought this gun and was trying to find who made and when, etc.
Engraved Stock, Checkered Stock and Forearm, Stock is split, All metal is pitted, (1) hammer missing and the other is very rusty.
The only markings I could find where under the Right & Left hammers.

(side 1)M.Brunner (side 2)IN Munchen

I just found Munchen translates to Munich.

Then under the barrels more text/#'s
(Allege) (Petry)&(44)
And its a precussion cap not a flint.

Does it look anything like this?

100276053-3-L.jpg

Does that have a carved wooden trigger guard? That's what it looks like. Never saw something like that before, very interesting!

IHC656 said:
I just bought this gun and was trying to find who made and when, etc.
Engraved Stock, Checkered Stock and Forearm, Stock is split, All metal is pitted, (1) hammer missing and the other is very rusty.
The only markings I could find where under the Right & Left hammers.

(side 1)M.Brunner (side 2)IN Munchen

I just found Munchen translates to Munich.

Then under the barrels more text/#'s
(Allege) (Petry)&(44)
And its a precussion cap not a flint.

I betcha that It actually reads 'A Liége' and that this gun - or the barrels - was/were made in Belgium and sold by the Munich dealers. To the other post - that trigger guard is more likely made out of horn, rather than wood, and will be VERY fragile - be careful with it.

tac

I'm sure Shane will be along to set it right but I can almost guarantee that the guard on that gun is wood, probably a fruit wood, as was fairly common on German guns.

Enjoy, J.D.

I think that one is wood. I came within a hairs breadth of buying it a while back but decided not to. Many were horn. I have one that has a horn guard extension.

That gun is lateish perc gun by M Brunner. Probably same guy.

Lots of European long guns had horn trigger guards. It was cheaper than metal ones, readily available and cheaper labor to make.

The name on the lockplate(s) is usually the maker and if there is a name on the barrel that is the gun builder with lock(s) bought from someone else.

The gun is not likely Belgian made with German locks.

I can't see sling swivels in the pic. German and Austrian guns always have sling swivels. Don't ask me why, they just do :thumbsup:

This gun doesn't have sling swivels.
There is a wood peg sanded flush with the stock were a swivel could have gone, I thought this to be only a repair.
I have the action free and is working correctly.
Doubt I will ever find a replacement hammer, so I will test my machinist skills.

IHC656 said:
Doubt I will ever find a replacement hammer, so I will test my machinist skills.

In the long run, it may be better to buy a pair of modern replacement hammers if you can find a style with the right 'throw' and similar styling. Keep the original to schlepp to gun shows, gun shops, etc. It's not out of the question that you may find an original to match but the odds will be long! :wink:

Wes/Tex is right. It is not at all uncommon to find doubles with replacement hammers that were period repairs. Replace both, identify the remaining original and keep it with the gun.

I see via the link that Dixie offers hammers with different throw lengths. How do you properly measure the hammer throw?

Jersey Flinter said:
I see via the link that Dixie offers hammers with different throw lengths. How do you properly measure the hammer throw?
Measure from the center of the square tumbler shaft to the center of the nipple!
Bob Reader

Again in response to Supercracker. I am 99% sure this gun is the same as the one on gunsinternational, just not as well kept & I see it has a swivel were I have a wood peg inserted in my stock.
And thanks for the input on my hammer ordeal.

Back