GEORGE WASHINGTON'S SECRET SIX

Discussion in 'Muzzleloading and History in the Media' started by Zonie, Nov 26, 2018.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Nov 26, 2018 #1

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

My youngest son bought me a paperback book for my birthday titled, GEORGE WASHINGTON'S SECRET SIX, by Brian Kilmeade and Don Yeager. © 2013,2014. Penguin Random House LLC. NY, NY.

It proved to be a very interesting book about the spy ring Washington had working for him in New York.

Very well written, easy to read and factual in its presentation, it tells the story of the "Culper's", a group of 5 men and one woman who gathered information about British troop movement, ship arrivals, departures and destinations, and plots against the American forces.

This information was smuggled out of the New York area to Connecticut to be delivered directly to George Washington.
    To do this, often the information was written in personal letters about common activities or in books that were commonly available.
    To prevent the information from being read by any British soldier or agent that examined the letters or books, the information was written between the visible lines in invisible ink which could be read only after the right fluid was applied to the pages.

Among the information the Culper's passed on to Washington was the British plot to print counterfeit American money and Benedict Arnold's plot to surrender West Point to the British.

Although each male member of the group had a secret name such as Culper Jr., the woman was only known as Agent 355.
    She is also the only one of the group who remains unidentified, even today.
    At the end of the book, several different women who could have been agent 355 are discussed but none of them appear to be the agent. All of them have one or more things which seem to rule them out.

Included in the book are several pages of photos which add to the enjoyment of reading it.

For anyone who is interested in American history and wants to know what was going on behind the scenes I highly recommend this book.

PluggedNickel likes this.
  2. Nov 27, 2018 #2

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

58 Cal.

Washington organized a very effective intellegence gathering network that kept him well informed of the British activities and was of tremendous help specially early in the war. I'm currently reading "Washington's Spies, the Story of America's First Spy Ring" by Alexander Rose and I highly recomend this book also.

3. Nov 27, 2018 #3

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

45 Cal. Supporting Member

Found the book on amazon, put it on my wish list, it will be the next one I read.

4. Nov 27, 2018 #4

DOUBLEDEUCE 1

DOUBLEDEUCE 1

DOUBLEDEUCE 1

69 Cal.

Currently reading Washington’s Secret Six. Very good !

5. Dec 5, 2018 #5

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

I nave much enjoyed Kilmeads works. While not in depth studies he is informative, researches well and tells the story well.

6. Dec 5, 2018 #6

Grumpa

Grumpa

Grumpa

58 Cal. Supporting Member

This is the same spy ring featured in the TV series "Turn: Washington's Spies", which is available on Netflix. As usual for films, liberties are taken with historic facts for the purpose of entertainment. I believe the series was in discussion on this Forum for a while.

Richard/Grumpa

7. Dec 6, 2018 #7

Nativearizonan

Nativearizonan

Nativearizonan

54 Cal. Supporting Member

Agent 364?

[​IMG]

8. Dec 8, 2018 #8

Nativearizonan

Nativearizonan

Nativearizonan

54 Cal. Supporting Member

I didn't intend to kill this thread, I just thought it interesting that in Washington's day they numbered the agents like they did in the '60s TV shows. The picture is Agent 99 from the TV show Get Smart, BTW, for those that weren't of that generation.

Please ignore me and carry on.

9. Dec 8, 2018 #9

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

45 Cal. Supporting Member

You have it backwards , the 60 show number their agents like Washington did.

10. Dec 8, 2018 #10

PluggedNickel

PluggedNickel

PluggedNickel

Still playing Cowboy after all these years! Supporting Member

Sorry about that Chief, missed it by that much! LOL

11. Dec 9, 2018 #11

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I think they named her with a number to keep any British person that heard about a spy in their midst from figuring out that it was a woman.

Apparently she was among the elite, who got invited to large parties and balls in New York. There she could mingle among the ranking British military officers.
    That gave her the opportunity of getting inside information like Benedict Arnold's plans to give West Point to the British.

12. Dec 10, 2018 #12

toot

toot

toot

32 Cal.

I too have read the book and it is spot on! and I found it very hard to put down!. my wife got it for me after we watched TURN. on TV. it is a must read book!.

13. Dec 11, 2018 at 4:53 AM #13

Grumpa

Grumpa

Grumpa

58 Cal. Supporting Member

As a result of this thread, my Wife and I just finished a marathon viewing of "Turn: Washington's Spies", all four seasons, on Netflix.
    It was most enjoyable, and seemed to stick pretty much to history, given perhaps some literary license with character interplay. I recommend it.

Thank you, Zonie. Now, I'll have to read the book.

Richard/Grumpa