• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening ..again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mentioned earlier on a post way back that I'd be trying a different variety of Okra. This one is Louisiana Green Velvet. The guy at the nursery gave me a handful of seeds that he had left over from his garden.I asked for asked for some input a while back and got a little. I'd like a little more if possible. Have any of you had any good results with this variety?

I mentioned earlier on a post way back that I'd be trying a different variety of Okra. This one is Louisiana Green Velvet. The guy at the nursery gave me a handful of seeds that he had left over from his garden.I asked for asked for some input a while back and got a little. I'd like a little more if possible. Have any of you had any good results with this variety?
As I said in an earlier post, I have no personal experience with that variety, but I just did a search and it’s a top rated okra variety. Should do well for you. And it is a heirloom variety.

Thanks,I was wondering if it was an Heirloom. I can save seeds for next year.
The name of the okra that I plant and have planted for many years finally popped into my head! They're Clemson Spineless, another heirloom variety. It's always done well here in south Louisiana and further north at the camp. I always keep those seeds at hand.

Just went out to look over the new garden and I was pleasantly surprised to see the first tomato blossom. Definitely the earliest for me. Now this was on one the 2 larger Better Boys we bought, they were $5-$6 a piece, but beautiful healthy plants. Now fingers crossed we don’t have an April frost!

Attachments

• IMG_3509.jpeg
    IMG_3509.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3511.jpeg
    IMG_3511.jpeg
    778.5 KB · Views: 0
The name of the okra that I plant and have planted for many years finally popped into my head! They're Clemson Spineless, another heirloom variety. It's always done well here in south Louisiana and further north at the camp. I always keep those seeds at hand.
I've tried Clemson Spineless in the years past, I just wanted to try something different.I wish Okra was taller , like I remember.

Just went out to look over the new garden and I was pleasantly surprised to see the first tomato blossom. Definitely the earliest for me. Now this was on one the 2 larger Better Boys we bought, they were $5-$6 a piece, but beautiful healthy plants. Now fingers crossed we don’t have an April frost!
I read somewhere that the little yellow flower (blossom) is the right time to give the plant a tablespoon of Epsom Salt. Not the plant itself but the ground surrounding the plant. Then water it in and don't splash any on the foliage.

Last edited:
Finished the addition to the raised bed and planted 5 hills of Zucchini seeds. Hopefully we’ll have an over abundance, we have a big freezer here and one at the camp that have some room to spare. We use vacuum sealers after blanching and they last a good while. I put some pine straw down in the middle walkway. I’ll eventually border it all with pine straw and maybe add a layer of cypress mulch. But I ran out of steam for the day.
Was that a typo? 5?! That's a truckload of zooks TDM!

Ha! I hope it makes a lot. Both my Sons live close by and 6 grandkids to feed, plus the freezers. It won't go to waste.
👍 I like zucchini too. 1 or 2 plants usually lets me be generous. Our experiment with canning the bread last year, we will put up a lot. Mom used to fry it for us for breakfast. I really liked it like that.

👍 I like zucchini too. 1 or 2 plants usually lets me be generous. Our experiment with canning the bread last year, we will put up a lot. Mom used to fry it for us for breakfast. I really liked it like that.
Yep, luckily we enjoy it too in a number of recipes. I even cook it on the grill with olive oil.

I've tried Clemson Spineless in the years past, I just wanted to try something different.I wish Okra was taller , like I remember.
I’ve been planting Clemson Spineless for years. If it gets any taller I’ll have to get a bucket truck to pic it.
I pick mine until frost kills it and many of the plants will reach 10’ tall. I read that you can cut it back to where it will bush out and increase production, but if I have much more I am afraid I will lose too many friends. Kind of like zucchini.

I used to have pretty good luck with Clemson Spineless but the last few years have not been what you'd call "great" or even average. And for some reason it's been less than 4' tall. More nitrogen, maybe?

My son, our WWII history enthusiast, was home this week from college. We couldn't go shooting, but we did watch Band of Brothers, and he reminded us of the Victory Garden families were encouraged to grow. That inspired us to plant an Easter Victory Garden. We haven't had a garden in decades and enjoyed working together to create a small one. Our home is on an island 3 miles out in the Gulf, so we decided to make this a test year and planted a variety to see what grows best in the sandy soil and salty air. It also allowed us to reuse a pile of old broken tabby wall pieces just waiting for the right project.

Attachments

• IMG_4199.jpg
    IMG_4199.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back