• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

G.R. Douglas Barreled Seneca .45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ran across this gem online for a fair price however sale tax and shipping cost took it out of what I'd call the good deal range, ouch! Anyway it arrive the day before I was headed on a three week run to Montana so I'd owned it for about a month before the first shots were fired yesterday. I set up at 50 yards, took a wag at a charge of 50 3fg, a .445 cast ball and .020 ticking spit lubed patch. Good guess, it cut a near clover leaf group about an inch above the front sight, dead on for windage. The .445 loaded fairly easy so I stepped up to a .451 using everything else the same, loading the larger diameter ball felt about perfect on the way down the bore, this load hung right in there with the first. I only fired these two five shot groups before I moved on to a .58 Leman I wanted to test, didn't do as well with that one. Anyway the .45 is a keeper, a 31" barrel very nicely done, including the gold ban just back of the muzzle.

Attachments

• pix576480402 (1).jpg
    pix576480402 (1).jpg
    95 KB · Views: 4
  • pix951365468.jpg
    pix951365468.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 0
Good for you, and good shooting!

I think the Seneca represents T/C’s finest achievement in muzzleloaders… their best-looking and best designed firearm. That Douglas barrel only makes it better.

Notchy Bob

That's a very nice find! I like my Seneca as well, although mine does not have a Douglas barrel. The Seneca was a fine rifle as was the Renegade. Nicer than and more HC/PC accurate than the 'stitch counters' would like to admit. Look up the 'California rifle' posts by the late Zonie.

Nice guns. I would suggest you stay away from tight fitting patch and ball combos along with heavy powder charges. I have seen many of these graceful stocks cracked or broken after being pushed too hard.

There are ways to reinforce the stocks, but most folks don’t consider that until it’s a repair job.

I have two TCs with Douglas barrels. One is a 'not-really-a-hawken-hawken' the other is a Seneca. Both are set up as primarily target rifles with Redfield Olympic sights. Both have won many matches. Both are more accurate than I am. BTW, for years I used .457" balls in them. Then, stupidly, I went to a large match only to find I had forgotten to pack my round balls. The only balls available from vendors was Hornaday swaged in .440". They grouped as good as anything. I won a 100 yard bench rest match using those against genuine, heavy, bench rest rifles. Go figger. The one you showed should be a dandy.

Back