• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fusil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tha depends....
If one is referring to the bag one keeps roundball, patching or wadding, a tin of lube, maybe small shot of some kind if shooting a smoothbore, and a few extra flints,,,, the things required to make the next shot,,,,, hmmmm,,,, maybe call it a shot pouch.

If one is referring to a bag or sack to carry all the rest of one's little items, how about,,,, market wallet, split pouch, shoulder bag, snapsack,,,,, or maybe in this case "possibles bag" might apply,,,,, maybe.
“If one is referring to a bag or sack to carry all the rest of one's little items, how about,,,, market wallet, split pouch, shoulder bag, snapsack,,,,, or maybe in this case "possibles bag" might apply,,,,, maybe.”
Go with “Haversack” 😉

Imagine it. Old documents, letters, etc. typically display excellent spelling and grammar. Pride in one's communication skills. Relating to this forum, I recall a past thread reminding we're not allowed to use profanity in case younger folks are reading and it was suggested that good spelling and grammar may be equally important here for the same reason...
I've read some of Daniel Boones correspondence, spelling was mostly phonetic from memory. I still admire the man.

Not saying I'm correct but I was always taught that a "haversack" was for carrying your horse's food; seriously. That's why it was an inappropriate term for carrying personal items.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

... Referring to French guns , pretty common

Attachments

• IMG_20230925_211418.jpg
    IMG_20230925_211418.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
But how the heck do you pronouce it? Does it rhyme with Smoothie?
Pronounce what word ? Fusil ? It is pronounced ( FU -SEE ) or ( FU -ZEE ) . The L is silent ... French ! LOL !! :D Funny ...even long after the F&I War Ive seen English men referring to obvious N.W. trade guns in period documents and journals as " FUZEES " . I guess with the French influence and all the name just became a slang for trade guns . In the one journal all his boatmen , an Englishman in charge , were old hand French Voyagers ... Interesting stuff .

Last edited:
I got you guys all stored up for 5 pages now! You even switched over to arguing about bags. Mission accomplished.....
So where is the next point to argue? Is that not in your job description?

…French is another bizarre development. We can read it and not have a clue how to pronounce anything.

The only good thing I found was sausage, cheese and croissants, and those are the words I remember.

On another forum that I once frequented (not a muzzleloading forum); I took umbrage with another guy's extensive use of text symbols, horrible grammar, and atrocious spelling. Some of his posts were so awful that I could barely decipher them.
I made a comment about it, and a landslide of vitriol crashed down on me from all sides. The man, himself, claimed that he was a college educated manager of a small corporation.
We bantered back and forth for a short time, then disgusted with the whole matter, and having been growing discontent with the ignorance often displayed on that forum; I dug myself out of the debris and quietly departed.

My 1965 edition of "The American Heritage Dictionary" defines fusil thusly;
"fusil; A light, flintlock musket". It goes further to state that the word is derived from the French and is, in turn, derived from Latin.
So, I refer to my 6 pound, 20 gauge flintlock smoothbore interchangeably as a fusil or a fowler.

Further more; I dislike the terms smokepole, front stuffer, and flinchlock. To me, the use of such terms denotes an amateur in the field of black powder firearms and flaunts disrespect for the genre.
Another term that I intensely dislike is "possibles" bag.

And so, there is my little rant on this subject. Let the vitriol fly!
You can call it a bang pipe for all I care, I just want one!

Further more; I dislike the terms smokepole, front stuffer, and flinchlock. To me, the use of such terms denotes an amateur in the field of black powder firearms and flaunts disrespect for the genre.
Another term that I intensely dislike is "possibles" bag.

And so, there is my little rant on this subject. Let the vitriol fly!
If Bill Tyler (Charlton Heston) in the movie "The Mountain Men" referred to it as "Possibles", then that's good enough for me!

When I use the term fuzee I'm usually referring to an 18th century smooth gun that may look like any other birding piece except it is cylinder bored for shooting ball............. oh I also use the term in modern jargon to refer to an emergency road flare 😃

Back