Fusil-de-Chasse question...

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

sooter76

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just a couple of quick questions in regards to the TVLLE Fusil-de-Chasse...

1) Historically, with steel accents being so common on these guns, would the front sight have been steel or brass?

2) Would the gun have been blued or browned, or would it have been finished bright and left to develop a patina naturally?

Thanks.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
2cents ... I understand a brass front sight and in the white.

JohnN

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Made of brass, about 1/2" long. Narrow in front and back, lower in front and back, about 1/8" wide in middle, about 3/16" high in the middle. Rounded from front to back.Will see if I can find a pic.

Stumpkiller

That Other Moderator
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Sooter76 said:
What's 'barley corn shaped'?
Like rice but fuzzier.

Credit to Spence10 for the image above. :hatsoff:

Col. Batguano

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Somewhat pyramid or triangle shaped. The French were fond of that shape, and you find it even as recently as on their MAS 36 WW II bolt gun.

Cruzatte

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Sooter76 said:
1) Historically, with steel accents being so common on these guns, would the front sight have been steel or brass?
Steel, or rather, iron.
Sooter76 said:
2) Would the gun have been blued or browned, or would it have been finished bright and left to develop a patina naturally?
Thanks.
Commonly polished armory bright. These were the civilian "sporterized" version, if you will, of the fusil grenadier also manufactured in Tulle and sent to Canada to arm the regular troops there. I recommend The Fusil de Tulle in New France 1691-1741 by Russel Bouchard

Latest posts