• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Furry four legged companion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
44E269BF-266C-4DA3-A7B0-41CABD914629.png

Nice stringer of deer there , Lobo .

Here’s my mut , all 180 pounds of her .

She a gentle giant , just not enough room in my blind for the both of us! LOL

F05-D1860-C59-E-44-CC-B2-D7-B864090-B15-F3.jpg

Last edited:
PICT0021(2)web.jpg

My current dog has been my best out of dozens over the years. I started with beagles, then pointers, then Brittanies and now a Boykin spaniel. Unfortunately, she has arthritis and is losing her acute sense of smell @ 13 years old.

PICT0125aWEB.jpg

IMG_0070aWEB.jpg

Okay...you guys might not believe this story. I've had a few Black Labs. Great dogs. So a couple of years after the last Lab died, I told my wife: "no more dogs". Couple of years later, she comes home, tells me to close my eyes, and puts this Yorkshire Terrier puppy in my hands. She says: "well you can name him". So I thought of the worst name for a lady's dog, and named him "The Killer".

Well...nothing I could do about it, but figured if we were going to have this little dog, I'd train it to be obedient at least. I found that it was very trainable, in fact insanely intelligent. Then I noticed it seemed to have a very good nose. So I started teaching it to find a grouse wing, hidden here and there. Can you guess the rest?

This Killer turned out to be the hardest working, never give up, grouse dog ever. He was brave and fearless. He could/would go into stuff no big dog could get into, and flush them out. I've seen pure bred bird dogs get tired at the end of the day, and quit working. The Killer never gave up. He'd swim streams, go anywhere. One time he was staggering with fatigue, but I'd say: "go on in there find the bird", and he'd shift into high gear and go.

Of course he was too small for pheasant and such, but was hell on grouse. In high grass I'd just throw him over my shoulder, hold him by the hind legs, and he was perfectly content. He would also "tree" grouse. When they would fly off through the trees he would run after them, the then stand at the bottom of the tree they landed in, and bark. Those three grouse in my avatar pic with my Brown Bess were compliments of The Killer.

So, if the wife ever comes home with a little dog puppy, and it's a Yorkshire...it won't be a bad thing if you hunt grouse. :)
318164_391254440909882_902134379_n.jpg

Rat, I believe any dog can be trained to hunt whatever you want it must be instinct from years gone way back. Example my best friend just bought a Korelian bear dog female puppy she is a scandanavian breed, The kind you see on the game warden shows on t.v. She is being trained to hunt geese. I had a uncle whom owned a beagle he would not hunt rabbits but was a terror on quail and pheasant's would find them and just stand still until we walked up and then he would flush the birds.

Rat, I believe any dog can be trained to hunt whatever you want it must be instinct from years gone way back. Example my best friend just bought a Korelian bear dog female puppy she is a scandanavian breed, The kind you see on the game warden shows on t.v. She is being trained to hunt geese. I had a uncle whom owned a beagle he would not hunt rabbits but was a terror on quail and pheasant's would find them and just stand still until we walked up and then he would flush the birds.
Yorkshires were originally bred to catch/kill rats. (yeah...RATS) But still I would never have thunk they could shine on birds.

Protoazadore. Having a old English sheep dog he has since passed, I bet your dog was a chore to clean up after a hunt. Chauncey was his name great dog but did not like water he would not even walk in wet grass. We are currently awaiting a new lab puppy we can pick him up Jan 10th, this will be our 2nd lab. the first one was a black lab and a great dog. I would not live with out a four legged furry friend.

Okay...you guys might not believe this story. I've had a few Black Labs. Great dogs. So a couple of years after the last Lab died, I told my wife: "no more dogs". Couple of years later, she comes home, tells me to close my eyes, and puts this Yorkshire Terrier puppy in my hands. She says: "well you can name him". So I thought of the worst name for a lady's dog, and named him "The Killer".

Well...nothing I could do about it, but figured if we were going to have this little dog, I'd train it to be obedient at least. I found that it was very trainable, in fact insanely intelligent. Then I noticed it seemed to have a very good nose. So I started teaching it to find a grouse wing, hidden here and there. Can you guess the rest?

This Killer turned out to be the hardest working, never give up, grouse dog ever. He was brave and fearless. He could/would go into stuff no big dog could get into, and flush them out. I've seen pure bred bird dogs get tired at the end of the day, and quit working. The Killer never gave up. He'd swim streams, go anywhere. One time he was staggering with fatigue, but I'd say: "go on in there find the bird", and he'd shift into high gear and go.

Of course he was too small for pheasant and such, but was hell on grouse. In high grass I'd just throw him over my shoulder, hold him by the hind legs, and he was perfectly content. He would also "tree" grouse. When they would fly off through the trees he would run after them, the then stand at the bottom of the tree they landed in, and bark. Those three grouse in my avatar pic with my Brown Bess were compliments of The Killer.

So, if the wife ever comes home with a little dog puppy, and it's a Yorkshire...it won't be a bad thing if you hunt grouse. :)
View attachment 1572
That's a great story rat
View attachment 1456 I could fill up a lot of pages with pictures and stories about my dogs. I've had beagles I ran rabbits with, hunted pheasants with them and ran fox all with the same dog.

Coon dogs more than I can count.

Bear and cat hounds.

Bird dogs of just about every breed. A Lwellin setter brings back many fond memories in the grouse woods and pheasant fields. Now I have two drathaars that go hunting with me about everyday of season. We hunt pheasants,blue grouse, ruffed grouse, Hungarian partridge,chukkar, sharptailed grouse and sage hens.
I think that will be my next breed. They mostly go for about 1500.
I'm looking for one closer to 500.

That's a great story rat

I think that will be my next breed. They mostly go for about 1500.
I'm looking for one closer to 500.

I think a good choice. I use them for about everything.There great companion dogs also.
Four years ago I bred my dog. I only wanted one female pup, she had nine. I sold them for $100 so I wouldn't have that many pups around. They went like hot cakes! So there out there.

View attachment 1572
Great story! Mine is not as exciting, but I'M GOING TO TELL IT ANYWAY. We had a dairy farm, fifty Holstiens and a bull. My wifes mother had given her a Yorkie. Nice puppy, I said, useless, I thought. Boy, was I wrong. She started taking the Yorkie with her when she brought in the cows to the barn. It took that little devil exactly two days to figure out what she was doing. He pretty well took over the herding of all of those 1200 pound animals every morning, and him weighing about 7 pounds. She called me out of the milkhouse to watch him work the cows, and boy was he "cock of the walk"

Some dogs (all breds) are just smart. My newest lil german shepherd/siberian husky (at 12 weeks) started to learn how to use door knobs. Hi Ball drive, her bark sounds worse than our 13.75 yr old German Shepherd. AND She cuddles. Thats what I like in a dog, companionship.

My son just lost his 10 yr old Siberian Husky last nite, was FINE thursday, when we saw him, guess he woke up in terrible pain and lethargic Sat AM. Son has been a vet tech 10 yrs and knew it was bad. Had cancer in most organs, nothing to do but let him go. That dog (my middle dogs dad) was THE smartest dog I have ever seen. My mom tells of a bull dog named Jack that was her nanny on the farm. Gramma would tell Jack to watch the baby and if she tried to roll or crawl off Jacked grabbed her by the diaper and put her back on the blanket.

I will ditto what others have said....I wont live w/o a dog, they are what people are supposed to be like. Favorite country song "why dont you love me like my dogs does"

Back