• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Full Moon...a rising!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RussB

45 Cal.
Reaction score
It's that time of year! A time that many of us have looked forward to all year.
It seems that time slows in August, gets even slower in September, and darn near comes to a stop in October just before that magic date gets here.

:imo: The picture below is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen....Seems to stir the very soul of the hunting instincts, if ya know what I mean.

Would you break the cold silence with a shot?

IdahoMullie.jpg

Whhhew! Beautiful! Is that a real picture or composite it looks to good to be real. The photographer's timing would have to be perfect to get that.
To answer your question, no I wouldn't shoot. It is apparently after dark, therfore illegal to shoot. Besides I would want to savor that view. Hopefully, I would have camera of my own with me.

Whhhew! Beautiful! Is that a real picture or composite it looks to good to be real. The photographer's timing would have to be perfect to get that.
To answer your question, no I wouldn't shoot. It is apparently after dark, therfore illegal to shoot. Besides I would want to savor that view. Hopefully, I would have camera of my own with me.

Keith...I am told this was taken on Lolo pass, between Idaho, and Montana, just off highway 12.
And, you're right about the shooting, in my mind.

Like Rebel, I have this as my screen saver. More as a reminder of the beautiful outdoors......
Russ

RussB,
keep in mind i am not too computer savy how do you make that your screen saver?

snake-eyes :hmm: :peace: :) :thumbsup: :hmm:

go to the pic and right click and click on save as back ground...............................bob

Awesome-almost eerie. The moon seems too big not to be a composite but it is outstanding work in any event. Sure makes ya think about the wonders we are surrounded with.

If I were a betting man, I'ld say the foreground, deer and moon are all seperate pictures. At any rate, based on the detail seen in the brush, rocks and the deer, the picture is taken in natural light. Therefore, there is plenty of legal light left. Being a trophy hunter, I would shoot the one on the right and make the whole thing into pepperoni. A meat hunter would take one of the other ones. Much better quality meat. IMHO

Cody

Could be a composite ( due to the crater detail ) but if taken through a long telephoto lense, would cause forshortening perspective and make the objects farthest away look larger... Very cool technique :thumbsup:

LEJ....From the little bit I know of the picture, and taking pictures in general, I think you are right about the technique.
The picture was taken with a "box" type Voigtlander camera, at least that is what I was told, and it is not a composite, unless they've been pulling my leg for a couple of years now. To the best of my knowledge it is a real picture....However, I've seen Musketman do some things with this same picture that look real too, so I suspect it would not be a big deal to make up a picture in any way you want.
Just my thoughts.
Russ

Russ

I don't know about out west, but the moon here in new england is about the size of my thumbnail so I am guessing it is a composite...and a beautiful one at that.

It could be made up,but if there was a big snow slope behind the photographer reflecting the light...who knows?

Eoin.

No question it's a composite...the size of the telephoto lens required to show that much size & detail of the moon would only have one eyelash of the buck showing in the photo...but an interesting piece of work never-the-less

If I were a betting man, I'ld say the foreground, deer and moon are all seperate pictures. At any rate, based on the detail seen in the brush, rocks and the deer, the picture is taken in natural light. Therefore, there is plenty of legal light left. Being a trophy hunter, I would shoot the one on the right and make the whole thing into pepperoni. A meat hunter would take one of the other ones. Much better quality meat. IMHO

Cody

pepperoni????? PEPPERONI? Ye Gads, Man! look at all of that fine stew, chili, and roast! But I do have to agree with you on one thing: I would take that big bruiser...

just look at all the flakers, powder measures, knife handles, and whisk & pick sets he's carrying up there! I could rondy for a whole season and never pay a camp fee once from all the gear I could make from that! And that big hide of his would sure come in handy, too.

:results:

No doubt at all -- it's a composite of three different photos. The foreground was taken with a wide angle, the deer with a telephoto, and the moon with a mondo-telephoto.

However, it is beautifully done!

Back