• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frizzen spring pressure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi
I have a Traditions Flinter Hawkens. In general it works very well. Good reliable and fast ignition as long as the flint is sharp. I would like to tune the lock to get longer flint life out of it. Generally I can get about ten shots before I need to chip the edge or turn it over. The frizzen spring is quite strong in this one. Would lightning the frizzen spring tension help with keeping the flint edge longer? Its a good sparker and will spark well with no frizzen spring at all. Thanks
n.h.schmidt

I'm not a frizzen spring expert but do have a question...curious to know where the flint's edge usually hits the face of the frizzen?
1/4 way down from the top?
1/2 way down?
3/4 way down?

I kind of favor a lighter frizzen spring. As you say it should spark with no spring at all. My idea is that the spring is there for two reasons. first to keep the pan closed while waiting to shoot (hunting) and to keep the frizzen from bouncing back into the flint after firing. When I am tuning a lock I sometimes work the cam on the bottom of the frizzen, both to lighten spring pressure and to make the frizzen open quicker using that same spring pressure. If you slowly push the frizzen forward it should spring away from your push about the same place as the flint would finish its scrape. I am not very good at explaining what mean but if you try it I think you will see for yourself.

n.h.schmidt said:
Hi
I have a Traditions Flinter Hawkens. In general it works very well. Good reliable and fast ignition as long as the flint is sharp. I would like to tune the lock to get longer flint life out of it. Generally I can get about ten shots before I need to chip the edge or turn it over. The frizzen spring is quite strong in this one. Would lightning the frizzen spring tension help with keeping the flint edge longer? Its a good sparker and will spark well with no frizzen spring at all. Thanks
n.h.schmidt

Below is a link to a high speed video of flintlocks firing. The second lock filmed is a Haddaway with the frizzen spring removed. Fires just fine. I also have a Chambers Round faced lock that fires well with no frizzen spring.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dqvu-zuORg
[/youtube]

Regards,
Pletch

I ask the same question a while back and I got a private message and this is part of it. It shed some lite on the subject for me. :thumbsup:

Sometimes the biggest headache is the frizzen spring, because some of our lock makers believe that the spring must put resistance to the frizzen to help make sparks. They are wrong. A frizzen spring's ONLY job is to keep the frizzen closed when the muzzle is pointed to the ground. If your frizzen has to push down on the frizzen spring to open, you need to do some work. Most people are not comfortable reducing spring tensions, so this is what you do to fix this without altering the spring.

First, polish both the contact point on the frizzen spring, and the " cam " or " heel " of the frizzen that makes contact with the spring. If you think of the frizzen as a boot, the cam becomes the " heel of the boot". When the frizzen is close, the cam must rest on the frizzen spring at that contact point. It needs only a very small, narrow flat spot on the bottom of the cam to stay in position when the frizzen is closed to fire. Most of the cams have very wide flats. Use a file too file a rounded arc to the forward side of the cam, leaving the rear face of the cam straight and at right angles to the spring. Then, use a file or grinder, to polish a very slight depression in the spring, right behind the contact point where the cam rests. This creates a " pothole" that lets the cam swing free into air when it first begins to move when struck by the flint. With nothing dragging on the cam, the frizzen " pops " open before the spring can move up and put pressure on the cam again. A well tuned frizzen will produce a shower of sparks with NO frizzen Spring in the lock at all! In fact, the target shooters will often leave the frizzen spring out of their locks, since they can't prime their guns until they are ready to fire, and gravity keeps the frizzen closed when they align their sights to fire the lock and gun. A frizzen weighs less than 1/2 pound, and the tension on the frizzen spring only needs to be about 1.5 lbs at most. Most frizzen springs I examine run more than 12 lbs. Until I fix them. Now you know how to fix them, too.

You will get much greater life out of your flints with a properly tuned lock.

Hi
Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to attempt some changes as a result of what I have seen and read here. I will report back after I next get the rifle out.
n.h.schmidt

Back