• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

French wheellock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNHillbilly

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the inner workings of the smaller French style wheely? Specifically I'm trying to figure out how the mainspring is held back into the stock. Pictures show they are pinned, with a wide axle and an external bearing plate on the opposite side. I can't tell if the mainspring is a 'V', a 'J', or just straight. Any ideas? Bill

Hi Bill,
The mainspring is a "V" with the bend anchored in place by a pin through the stock to the rear of the lockplate. The stock must have a long trigger plate and strap inlet in the bottom to provide access to the cavity for the spring. The spring sits loose in that cavity with one end slipped into a bolster or lug on the lockplate and the other hooked to the chain. The hook and chain often protrude through an opening on the bottom of the stock.

dave

Thanks Dave! If I understand this correctly they would carve out a narrow(?) 'trench' from back to front wherein the MS would essentially drop in. The pin then goes through the stock, and the lengthy trigger guard covers the opening.
I made most of a rather smallish stock copying from a book....not realizing the French differences.
I made a Lauber lock which I've never been overly thrilled with and thought I might try turning it into the French style, making a new longer axle and spring. Bill

Hi Bill,
I think you have the idea. I have yet to try and make a French wheellock but would like to. Their advantage is that the lockplate is small compared with other wheellocks so the gun can be slim and elegant. However, the wrist or handle section is very weak. Often they will have a long barrel tang so the wrist or handle is supported by iron straps top and bottom, like a Hawken. In addition, the pommels on pistols were usually separate pieces glued or screwed in place.

dave

At first glance this seemed pretty straight forward. Then I put the trigger only in my stock and thought......Hhhm! How'd they get the spring in or around the top pivoted trigger? Narrow spring, groove/slot in the mainspring, bend the trigger sideways 'U' shape around it. I'm guessing the sear arrangement would be the same.

I believe I read somewhere that they connected it
by removing the triggerplate. A special tool was
then used to connect it to the stirrup...quite
cleaver...

I was sitting here studying my stock the other evening and think I understand how it could be done. The lock fits to the side, therefore, it would seem to follow the MS would be to the side. I think the mainspring could be a bit narrower, given it will be a good bit longer. If one can offset the trigger's pivot point slightly, I think it would work.

Latest posts

Back