• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

french grey finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A while ago I was tasked with removing the case hardening colors from a pedersoli flintlock. I used naval jelly and was rewarded with a nice grey finish, a friend who was watching said that it was a french grey finish. It was still polished but grey in color. I dont have any polished steel or naval jelly around to expirement, so does anyone know about this? Its rather attractive and I would like to do a rifle in it.

Naval Jelly sometimes turns steel gray like you mentioned. I've always thought it must be etching the metal, but I'm not sure. I don't know how long a finish like that would last. If you decided to do it, experiment a bit first and please let us know! Sounds like it has potential to be a nice finishing method.

I use that alot, haven't had a complaint yet of it wearing off. I always thought it was a good way to nock down the shine on steel without a lot of hassle.

Don't nail me to the wall cause I'm working from memory but I think all case hardened metal was gray to start. Various oils got into the quenching liquid and these ended up making attractive colors. Soon case hardening became color case hardening and everyone wanted the colors. Today there are certain chemicals added to the quench to bring out bright colors- there is a book, DOUBLE GUNS by Hughes that covers this. In any event, I think originally the color was just a result of case hardening. Today Brownell's has a free pamplet on creating a "French Gray" finish- you may want to check it.

I have used naval jelly on several guns, I wool/polish the barrel to remove any lathe/tool marks then coat the barrel with NJ and re-apply about an hour later to keep it moist I usually do this three or four times, some minor pitting will occur so one might want to do it in stages to get the desired look, when I think it is where I want it( I like a slightly mottled look) I rinse the barrel off with hot water and then wipe down with a mix of baking soda and warm water then rinse again with hot water then blow dry the barrel and oil well with gun oil, your favorite PC lube would work as well. It is easier to do a test piece if you can find an old piece of barrel or something made of the same type of steel, I salvaged a 4" piece of barrel several years ago for such testing and just file it down when done to try the next experiment, if you know any builders there may be a piece laying on their bench you could talk them out of....works good for dovetail practice also.

A local gunshop had a beautiful pair of dueling pistols that were French gray. I agree with you that it is a very attractive finish.

Crockett,

I guess that I will go read the Brownell instruction sheet. Thanks for the tip.

CS

Does anyone have a good picture of what a french grey finish looks like.

This is what my method ends up like...

gun003.jpg

Back