• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Found this under my stand I just put up. What left this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this while I was putting up a ladder stand for the up coming muzzleloader season.

At first I thought perhaps a racoon, but it doesn't look like racoon scat. Too much of it.

Possum, too much for a them to leave behind.

Fox, nope.

Coyote, I'm not seeing it.

Pretty sure I know what deposited it but lets hear you all's input.

It appears to be composed of all blackberries.

Length about 4".

Width about 3".

Height about 3/4" to 1".View attachment 248207
The age old question has been answered, bears do s#!t in the woods. And under tree stands. Check the seat before you sit down in the dark. Had one drop a deuce on mine some years back when we lived in NW PA.

that is bear poo
our ursine friend here ate too many berries and it made for a bit of a loose stool

anyways that is my opinion, that and a quarter will get you a gum ball
Cynthialee, I agree. It is bear scat. Used to hunt bears when I lived out west. Saw a fair amount of bear scat but none like this pile. But we didn't have blackberries out there either.

FWIW, my outside dogs have been turning inside out the last few nights, as in ticked off mad at something. The only thing I've been able to see so far with a light has been a house cat.

From your description, young black bear perhaps in a 200 lb. range. look around a bit and see if you can find the berry patch. I would hang a camera also.
My thoughts exactly. A younger bear.

The blueberry patch is right next to the scat. Its down below my house about 60 yards. This entire area for miles has a lot of blackberry bushes. Any location where woods has been cleaned out or logged grows back up with blackberry bushes and mostly small maple saplings. Everyone and their brother has had their land logged around here in the last few years. So it will continue to increase.

Along this same conversation, last year during the orange army season I shot a buck that was walking on the edge of, but still in, some thick blackberry bushes. The leaves had already fallen off and I was surprised that he was in that thick stuff eating on the thorny bushes themselves. It was so thick and thorny that after I got down there, I walked past that dead buck several times, and within a few feet of him before I found him.

That place had been logged several years ago.

I went close to that area a couple months ago. I was shocked to see that some of the old logging roads/trails I had cut open had already grown about 1/3 shut. I hope to get back over there within the next few days and open up more trails and find a place up on the hillside overlooking that blueberry thicket to put up a climber. I also want to put up a ground blind in the event its raining this season.

If you look to the left about 10 feet from my stand you can see the edge of the blackberry patch.

The pile that IanH left for me was about two feet from the bottom of the ladder.

Ladder stand.jpeg

Last edited:
Found this while I was putting up a ladder stand for the up coming muzzleloader season.

At first I thought perhaps a racoon, but it doesn't look like racoon scat. Too much of it.

Fox, nope.

Length about 4".

Width about 3".

Yes, the answer is the big bear does **** in the woods….

Fox, nope.

Length about 4".

Width about 3".

Yep...a black bear. Know it well living in the Poconos at one time. Cleaned up many a mess after going through my garbage and leaving that sign on top of a garbage can lid.

Could it be deer? I have deer coming through my vineyard daily and I found a fist size pile like that the other day. Looks like deer pellets all globbed together from eating apples grapes, and blackberries. Most of the bear scat I have seen, albeit not much, has usually been a lot larger pile more towards the size of a cowpie. Correct me if I am wrong or I have a bear near as well.

Fox, nope.

Length about 4".

Width about 3".

🐻

My guess to is bear poop. They often gorge themselves and get loose bowels. We had apple trees in front of our cabin and my uncle had parked his white buick under one. That night a bear climbed up that tree and started eating apples and pooped all over his pretty new white Buick! He was PO'd all day because we have no running water and he had to carry buckets of water up from the creek. He was a miserable old coot so nobody helped him!

Latest posts

Back