• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Folk Art Flavored Flintlock Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While my Kibler Colonial #6 is undergoing the final finishing stages, I began work on #7 which is also Cherry and .54 caliber.
For this one I decided to give it a little 'folk art' flavor using pretty common motifs from the wonderful world of primitive and folk art.
I wasn't sure how well these would translate into a colonial era rifle but I like how it works so far.
After nine blissful hours today (installing the butt plate, toe plate and starting the carvings, here is what I came up with.

Attachments

• 7 d.jpg
    7 d.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 260
  • 7 c.jpg
    7 c.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 255
I really, really like the patchbox side.
Sorry, but the cheek piece side needs something to my eye. It looks like a good beginning to something with more depth.
With how those hearts came out I feel like it needs some of those Pennsylvania Dutch style vines and birds.

You have really been doing some nice work lately. Thank you for sharing.

I like it because you kept it simple but elegant and well done. We've all seen carving and checkering that was too complicated for the person who applied it. Simple done well beats complicated done poorly every time.
I agree. There are things to practice carving skills on but one of them isn't a gun in process.

I really, really like the patchbox side.
Sorry, but the cheek piece side needs something to my eye. It looks like a good beginning to something with more depth.
With how those hearts came out I feel like it needs some of those Pennsylvania Dutch style vines and birds.

You have really been doing some nice work lately. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks for your ideas. I have not gotten to the cheek rest area yet. I actually was thinking of a bird inlay, perhaps using another piece of wood for it, though with staining the stock it will present a challenge. Perhaps Ebony...

Last edited:
I like it because you kept it simple but elegant and well done. We've all seen carving and checkering that was too complicated for the person who applied it. Simple done well beats complicated done poorly every time.

As a newbie, who is getting ready to start a kit, I am really enjoying all the info in the forum here. "Simple done well" is what I hope to achieve with my kit.

I really like what you've done so far with the Kibler.

I decided to go with a simple heart for the Cheek piece embellishment. (It compliments the heart motifs on the patch box, and I may incorporate it also on the barrel tang apron.)
I used a piece of Madagascar Ebony and shaped it to the design on the band saw. Then I sanded the inside radius by rubbing it on a piece of sandpaper atop the Cheek piece. Then the tedious job of inletting it. After several hours I got it pretty close inside the hole. (One thing that must to be done if gluing Ebony is to sand and wipe the gluing surfaces with alcohol to remove the oils from it or the glue will fail.)
I did a little more shaping on the molding but got tired and quit for the day. More to do tomorrow :)

Attachments

• inlay 1.jpg
    inlay 1.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 59
  • inlay 2.jpg
    inlay 2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 62
  • inlay 3.jpg
    inlay 3.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 58
  • inlay 4.jpg
    inlay 4.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 65
  • inlay 6.jpg
    inlay 6.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 73
  • inlay 8.jpg
    inlay 8.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
nice change of pace.....and it works
Yup, a little variety in life is always good :)
For this little decorative device I was considering a brass inlay but decided it would be too 'rich' for this, so I wanted wood. Because I will be staining the stock, I needed a wood that would still stand out, and Ebony seemed to fit the bill.

Last edited:
Nice call on the artistry and ebony inlay. Most everyone can relate to folk art and appreciate it's styles. I love the pen-wheel scroll design (almost looks like it's in motion). The acorn top for the finger insert is classic. Great overall design and as always very pleasing.................Labrat

Latest posts

Back