• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fly position on SMR lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwhood

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I need assistance on the location of the fly on my SMR Kibler rifle. I can't find a good picture or illustration that shows the exact location of the fly. A picture or illustration would be great

Here's a pic...

Screenshot_20240316_145808_Google.jpg

I need assistance on the location of the fly on my SMR Kibler rifle. I can't find a good picture or illustration that shows the exact location of the fly. A picture or illustration would be great
Sorry, a slow rainy day here in Texas. Welcome to the forum.
I couldn't help myself.

The fly is a miniscule piece of metal usually lost during the build. All kits should come with about 4.
It fits into the tumbler near the half cock notch. Usually hard to see due to the bridle.
Tape it to your box as soon as it's located. That'll help keep it from wandering off.

I usually take pictures of stuff as I disassemble them, and this isn't from a Kibler lock, those pics are long gone, but it's from a flintlock pistol lock with a fly on the tumbler, so I hope it helps:
with tumbler in lock plate:
IMG_3982.JPG

underside of tumbler showing fly:
IMG_3983.JPG

I usually take pictures of stuff as I disassemble them, and this isn't from a Kibler lock, those pics are long gone, but it's from a flintlock pistol lock with a fly on the tumbler, so I hope it helps:
View attachment 304385
View attachment 304386
Huh? All my flys are 180 off of that one. They face opposite of the lock plate. Learn something new every day.

it is located between the tumbler and the lock plate on the smr. hard to see it without dis assembling the lock and be careful while taking it apart as its easy to loose.

The picture above looks as if the fly can be installed two ways. One way the fly will stop the sear at about the half cock position and the other, more tapered / slanted side lifts the nose of the sear over and past the half cock notch. When the lock is assembled. try the lock to verity that the sear is lifted past the half cock notch. If is consistently stops, then turn the fly over and test again.

Huh? All my flys are 180 off of that one. They face opposite of the lock plate. Learn something new every day.
That's how it was positioned when the tumbler came off the lock plate. In the photo above, you can see the edge of the fly under the tumbler, so the orientation is as installed, and as it functions properly. Here's another, so I don't get accused of being a troll posting a pic with the fly in backwards:
IMG_3978.JPG

Hey, it's a Traditions lock, maybe they make theirs backwards. Thanks to @Sandy Jarrell for posting a pic of the proper lock & fly.

Uhh why? It goes in the little notch with a hole that’s in the bottom of the tumbler. There are about 800 million lock photos and drawings on google image search. I don’t remember ever having to worry when putting the lock together, but I also rarely take locks apart unless I have a real reason.

Just throwing this out there. If you watch Jim Kiblers lock videos they show him working on a lock used on the Woodsrunner (and I think the Colonial too.) This lock has the fly on top of the tumbler while it is underneath the tumbler on the SMR. I thought I had lost my fly because I did not have the part on top. To most of you that’s silly and really I figured it out by default tinkering with it. There really is only one obvious place to put the fly. Nevertheless the two locks are different in regards to where the fly is.

SR1

View attachment 304385
View attachment 304386
Never in my life have I seen the fly installed on the lock plate side of the tumbler. All locks I‘ve ever seen has the fly on the bridle side of the tumbler, and I’ve seen many locks. Now I’m curious, who made that lock?

Traditions, from a Trapper kit. (post #12)
Thank you, missed that. I should have said the only time I’ve ever seen that configutation is on a left hand hand lock.
Learned something today!
And now, apparently, Jim Kibler is doing it on the Ketland SMR.
Now curious, did original Ketland locks have feature this also?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back