• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Squirrel Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiochuck

Lifetime Supporter
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Want a flintlock squirrel rifle. Which caliber is probably best?
Also what references show examples of silver inlays including wire?
Thanks!
Jim

I have a .32 caliber its a tack driver. it zaps jackrabbits and gophers regularly and as long as there are no high winds I have no complaints.
fouling is no issue with the barrel nor is the ramrod size, I heve not broken or damaged a ramrod and I can shoot it all day with out cleaning or swabbing. the lock is a L$R RPL, its on the small side and does have to gave the flint wiped down every 15 - 20 shots, but thats not a .32 caliber issue. I shoot 64 gr of fffg and it is quite peppy.

.36 cal. will do fine for little critters, worried about rammer, geta brown or black nylon one.
64 gr 3f in .32 wow....I shoot 20...

If you really only want it for squirrels or other critters about that size, I'll throw my hat into the .32 caliber ring. I've had or have .32, .36, & .40...the latter two can work great with head shots only, but any body shot with those can be pretty severe. First squirrel I shot with my .36 and 30 gr of 3F literally came down in pieces. My .32 with only 15 or 20 gr of 3f was more like a .22 longrifle. Still more potent and required careful shots, but at least I felt OK with ribcage shots with the .32. Just my experience. Others may vary.

I'm not sure what you're asking in reference to silver inlays and wire...do you mean historical pictures of squirrel rifles so adorned? Pictures of reproduction guns so adorned to get ideas?

Here's another vote for the .32. I have been shooting 20 grains of FFFg but some on this forum report good accuracy to 25 yards with 10 grains. At 20 grains, there is less noise than a .22 and no felt recoil. Keep yer powder dry.........robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another .32 vote here. I use a the hickory ramrod that came with it and have had no issues. I have shot it up to 30+ times without wiping between shots. I use 20 grains of fffg and a spit patch at the range. Mink oil hunting. Curious about your silver question as to what you are looking for. :hmm: :confused:

Dave

I like the small calibers for squirrels. I've tried 40 cal. And 36 cal., but both damaged the meat so much, that any hit other than the front of the head, ruined much of the meat.

Here is my 30 cal. Tennessee style flintlock. With a .284" ball and 20 grains 3f, it does about the same damage as a 22.
2015 gish by okawbow, on Flickr

I get 22 hornet performance or there about from it with 64 grains of fffg. I have not chronoed it, but it feels like over 2000 fps

64 gr? :shocked2: why not 65? :idunno: Have you shot and shot and shot and decided exactly 64 is the most accurate? Shooting tree rats (the topic of this post) with 10 gr or 15 will do more damage than a .22 mag but if mine was sweetest at 64 I guess that would be what I shot!

past 50 gr, groups opened up to over 1" at 50 yards rested. when I accidentaly grabbed the wrong measure I was using to shoot a .67 cal smoothbore pistol it printed a 1 hole group the size of a .50 cal hole. why mess with with that?
it was just a happy accident. and no, I did not try 65 or 63, it wasn't going to get any better than that, and I already had the fixed measure.
here in New Mexico Abert Squirels usually present a 50 yard or better shot and the added pep is useful.

Absolutely go with a .32. I've been hunting squirrels with .32's for 40 years. I also have a .36 flinter but when it's time to go for squirrels the .32 goes with me.

Here's a "string" of em from back in the day.

Ron_squirrels.jpg

A few more from last fall. I've always used 30gr's 3FFF behind a .310 prb. I use the hickory ramrod in the gun for loading in the field and a long hickory cleaning rod at home. I've never had a fouling problem. :shake:

00small17203292.JPG

I have had a couple of .32s and they were great. I like the .36 I have now even better. Head shots are what I always try for anyway and I really don't see much difference in the damage between the 2 calibers. The .36 balls just seem a little bit easier for me to handle with my big paws.

Silver wire inlay was particularly popular with Golden Age rifles built in/around what is now West Virginia (amongst other areas).

Also, quite a number of surviving rifles are 40 cal and below, so if you are wanting a historically accurate rifle in a smaller caliber that may be a place to start.

I am assuming you are talking about something like this?

DSC01676.jpg

Or this - while a contemporary, it was built using an original Sheets rifle as the pattern (built by Clay Smith)

sheetz_left_butt.jpg

another vote for the 32 cal.
tight ball n patch= patch imprint on pulled ball.
patches cut at muzzle.
wet lube.
solid brass ram rod..with short starter.
30 gr 3 f goex good to 50 yards.
Can shoot all day without wiping bore.
No fowling issues to date.
Head shots only!
Lots of fun to load in single digits. :grin:

I've got a .36 flintlock on order, so will be able to comment on that caliber later. I have a .32 caplock rifle now and it's wonderfully accurate with about 25 grains of FFF.

I've got a .36 H&A and was using about 50 gr. of powder but was blowing unburned powder out the muzzle.

Another vote for the .32. My hunting load(grouse and rabbits) is 20 grs. of 3F, but I been using 7 grs in the back so as not to disturb the neighbors. .010 muslin with mink oil.

I have been on the fence for several years, always trying to decide which caliber. No one I know has a small caliber rifle I can try, I keep reading all the negative on the 32, but on the internet who knows whats right.

Back