• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock speed and quality

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My experience with flinters is long but paper thin. It wasn't until I got to shoot Rebel's Jackie Brown Carolina smoothbore with a Siler lock that I experienced sure and instant ignition, and I was astounded. Now I am trying to decide on a kit or an in-the-white flint smoothie. My heart is set on a French fusil or early English style with a pied-de-vache butt. However, the Siler is not correct for these guns, and most of the AFFORDABLE kits I see use the L&R locks. I could be wrong, but I have heard a lot of folks say the L&Rs have quality control and authenticity issues. Perhaps that is hearsay. I juts know that if I go the kit route, it will need to come with a fully inletted stock, as I have at least three thumbs on both hands. Anyone have thoughts on locks, speed, quality and kit guns?

IMHO, Chambers locks are the way to go, unless you need a specific style of lock not provided by Chambers.

Sounds like a Chambers kit might be the way to go.
Chambers makes the Siler lock, as well as several other styles of lock that are equal in quality to the Siler.

One word of caution, however, Chambers "kits" are more of a parts kit containing a 95% pre inlet stock and require a good deal of work to complete.

Chambers may supply guns in more finished configurations too.

Contact Chambers for more information;[url] http://www.flintlocks.com/[/url]

A few alternatives might be TVM, Tip Curtis, Early Rustic Arms, or Jackie Brown.

A simple search should turn up their web pages.

They will supply guns in various states of completion using either L&R, or Chambers locks.
You will probably have to specify that you want a Chambers lock and the style of lock you want.

Tip Curtis doesn't have a web page, but can be reached at;
Tip Curtis Frontier Shop, PO Box 203, Cross Plains, TN. (615-654-4445)

J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a R.E.Davis "deluxe" on my .50 Golden Age Haines flinter. Havent had a problem since I built it 8 years ago. I tuned the lock before installing and she is fast. I have a small Siler on my .50 flinter pistol an its a good 'un too. IMHO you can't go wrong with either one.I hear about some problems with L&R's, mostly weak or broken mainsprings.

I've been using L&R locks for 20 years. I haven't had many problems with them. I had one part break after 15 years heavy use. I sent it back to them looking for parts and they sent me a bag of the parts back for free. That wasn't what I was looking for, I expected to pay for the parts. They have been good to me and their locks work great for me. That is my experience.

Many Klatch

I think davis makes their own kit, also the Gun and Mould shop make a good fusil kit,and they use Davis locks

The word on Davis locks back in the day was that the frizzen was soft. You saw a lot of Davis locks with a half-sole of file steel soldered onto the frizzen so it would shoot. I used to have a .62 rifle with a Davis lock, the frizzen was half-soled and the lock worked like a champ.

Many Klatch

My L&R flint lock was eating flints at an alarming rate. I just mentioned it to the owner in September at Friendship as I walked by his booth. He politely wrenched my rifle out of my hands, diagnosed the problem as a weak frizzen spring, and replaced it for free in under two minutes.
I don't need another lock, but if I did, it wouldn't be too long of a search.

Davis bought out Hamm locks, and I suspect that he inherited the reputation that Hamm had for soft frizzens. Hamm was a promoter of putting shoes on the frizzens to get sparks. He even sold a composite material for this purpose. I have not heard that recent Davis locks had soft frizzens. I would be very surprised if they do.

The Davis locks I have used (Davis Jaeger locks) I have had no problems with the frizzens on & they sparked good. The L&R locks I have used (Jaeger & Classic) I have had nothing but problems with & it is like a box of chocolates, ya never know what ya are going to get. The Chambers locks I have had Superb luck with them & of the Davis, L&R & Chambers locks, the Chambers beats them hand down in quality, performance, and customer service. IMHO

Now I will admit I have used more of the Chambers locks & am biased on them. But this is based on the problems incurred with all of them, and naturally one would want to keep using the lock that you have the least amount of problems with & one that performs well & also a good customer relationship.

My Davis Deluxe is just slightly larger than the large Siler.My stock was pre inlet for the siler,all I had to do was enlarge the lock mortise some,piece of cake!

BillinOregon said:
Thanks guys. I wish there were more kits and pre-inletted stocks available for the R.E. Davis locks. Seems most are inletted either for Siler or L&R.

Most makers will pre-inlet any lock you want. You just gotta talk to 'em.

Chambers makes historically correct locks for early English fowlers and rifles.
Check thier web page[url] http://www.flintlocks.com/locks4.htm[/url]

Chambers Early VA, or the Round-Faced English Flintlock are historically correct for what you describe.

And Birddog6 is right on about quality issues with other lock makers. IMHO, Chambers quality control is far and above better than any other lock maker.
J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using L&R Durs Egg and Manton locks for the past eight years. If I had problems I would be using another maker's lock. In my experience I find them to be well made and with a very fast lock time. There is no cause for concern over buying a kit that uses an L&R.

Many Klatch said:
I've been using L&R locks for 20 years. their locks work great for me. That is my experience.

Many Klatch

:hmm: :hmm: , been using L&R locks for 20 years and in your experience they work great..............and you go by the psuedonym "Many Klatch"????? :shocked2: Somehow that doesn't impart a warm fuzzy feeling about L&R locks or your definition of "they work great" :grin: :grin:

Cody

Back