• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Fusil de Chasse kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I appreciate all the help and suggestions on my previous thread. Now I'm having a thought, I could get a kit from the states and although I don't have the time to finish it there's no reason why I can't pay a smith to do it.

What are people's suggestions for a fusil de chasse kit?

My needs are below:

- I do not want a patent/chambered breach, that's a non negotiable.

- A gun that will still look good if the barrel is cut to 36" or thereabouts. I need OAL to not exceed 52" so it will fit in my safe.

- good quality lock that will produce fast ignition.

- 20G or 16G.

- barrel that can handle heavier powder charges.

Will be used as a hunting gun, RB for deer and shot for fox, duck and quail.

Suggestions appreciated.

I'll get on to then and ask if they ship internationally.

Good lock time and feel?
2A698889-5526-47E5-8F6B-C1EACB191C5D.jpeg

Real nice locktime…I do not notice any delays on ignition.

I’ve taken lots of game with the gun…but if you’re concerned about delay…I’ve taken lots of Doves and Quail, so yeah good solid ignition good solid locktime.

I posted something on the other thread of this topic about both Pecatonica River (I built two of these) and Larry Zornes Type D Fusil that I got through Clay Smith. Both styles are to me great shooters. I didn’t get and still don’t get the cheek slap from the FdC that I often read about. But without a doubt the model D is an awesome hunting and trap / Sporting Clay gun. It just pointed so naturally and was soooo light. But I love my Fusil de Chasse a lot and grab it more often than my long rifle for shooting demos with the Scouts. Just a bit hard on the wallet with the larger bore and powder load but it’s still worth it.
Building either is not really hard. Just don’t rush the job (which is my weakness).

Last edited:
I posted something on the other thread of this topic about both Pecatonica River (I built two of these) and Larry Zornes Type D Fusil that I got through Clay Smith. Both styles are to me great shooters. I didn’t get and still don’t get the cheek slap from the FdC that I often read about. But without a doubt the model D is an awesome hunting and trap / Sporting Clay gun. It just pointed so naturally and was soooo light. But I love my Fusil de Chasse a lot and grab it more often than my long rifle for shooting demos with the Scouts. Just a bit hard on the wallet with the larger bore and powder load but it’s still worth it.
Building either is not really hard. Just don’t rush the job (which is my weakness).
I would hassle you for a build after seeing photos of quality guns you put together if only I lived in the states!

Thank you for all the suggestions, I have just come onto and laid down money for a second hand centermark fusil de chasse.

And tomorrow I'm going to my local gunshop to buy a safe that can fit the thing in there!

Most of these dealers will sell a in the white gun. It is assembled just needs final finishing. Anyone can do that at home. I have assembled several of Larry Zornes kits and they are a relatively easy assembly. They are also very durable

Back