• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Plaines Rifles.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, my original question was more or less are plains rifles in flintlock HC or PC? I am amazed at the amount ok knowledge shared over my initial question. Thank you all for sharing. The one thing I did learn is now I want to get a Harpers Ferry 1803!

Actually, my original question was more or less are plains rifles in flintlock HC or PC? I am amazed at the amount ok knowledge shared over my initial question. Thank you all for sharing. The one thing I did learn is now I want to get a Harpers Ferry 1803!

I have a Zoli I’d part with!

Regarding half-stocked flintlock rifles, I think this quote from Granville Stuart's Forty Years on the Frontier should be of interest:

"In our neighborhood was a widow [named Johnson] with several children whose husband had been a good hunter. His rifle was a flint-lock half stock, of large caliber for those days [1843-1850], using forty lead balls to the pound of lead [0.488”]. A half stock rifle was one in which the wood only extended along the barrel about one-third of the way to the muzzle, and from its end to the muzzle, on the underside of the barrel was a slender piece of iron called a rib, on which was soldered from two to four small pieces of iron or brass tubing called thimbles, in which the ramrod of tough hickory wood was carried. All rifles in those days were muzzle loaders and the Johnson one was the first half stocked gun I ever saw. My father used to borrow it occasionally because its large balls were more fatal to the deer than those of his small calibre rifle. When he was successful the Johnson family always received half of the venison. This rifle was much better finished than most of the guns then in use. It had an oval silver box set in the butt stock on the right side, and a few inches forward was a hole in which to carry an extra flint for the lock, and a greased piece of rag to use in keeping the gun from rusting if it got wet. On the inside of this lid Johnson had scratched or roughly engraved three letters, “B,” and just below it, “D,” and below that, “F.” After B he marked the list of bucks killed by him (numbering 16); after D the list of does (numbering 13); after F the list of fawns (numbering 10). My father, leaving a little space after each of Johnson’s list, added those killed by him when he used the gun. How I would like to have that gun now as a souvenir of the ancient days and conditions when life was just unfolding to me." (pp.33-34)

Mr. Stuart is best known as a Montana pioneer, but he spent many of his early years on the frontier in Iowa. The first chapter in his book covers this phase of his life, and is extraordinarily informative. The quote above is interesting to me for many reasons. First, a flintlock was still considered a viable weapon even well into the 1840's (Mr. Stuart also mentioned earlier in the chapter that his father had a flintlock rifle of his own). Second, a fifty caliber rifle was considered a "big bore." And finally, this confirms that half stocked flinters may have been scarce on the frontier, but they did exist.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Thanks Notchy Bob.

This post reinforces what I consider to be common sense. Even given the lack of hard data on numbers.

But by surveying a population of 20 some odd rifles out of a total produced that at least numbers over a 1000...how can we say we really know anything at all?

Frustrating I’m sure.

So I think I’ll hijack this thread since stated it lol. A “ persona” for could be a war of 1812 vet in green riflemans pants a rifleman frock and an 1803 Harpers Ferry rifle liberated when he was discharged?

Even as late as WW1 it was common for discharged soldiers to take their service weapon home with them.

In WW2 they just tossed them overboard. Along with everything else.

Even as late as WW1 it was common for discharged soldiers to take their service weapon home with them.

Not all,
There are 3 WWII pistols and several rifles in our family that were bought and brought home when the war ended.
It was an optional payroll deduct at very reasonable prices to keep the guns that saved your bacon in combat.

Not all,
There are 3 WWII pistols and several rifles in our family that were bought and brought home when the war ended.
It was an optional payroll deduct at very reasonable prices to keep the guns that saved your bacon in combat.

Correct. I have several of those too, and stuff that was shipped home to boot. Was specifically referring to just being allowed to take it home. Not buying it.

Correct. I have several of those too, and stuff that was shipped home to boot. Was specifically referring to just being allowed to take it home. Not buying it.
I do have one Japanese firearm that was a trophy gun, flower intact. I know it was disassembled and sent home in the mail. A lot of that went on but as far as I know the American firearm inventory was only sold and never given away. I did work with one individual working as an armorer in the Viet conflict that mailed enough parts home to build 2 complete full auto rifles. He got to spend a little time cleaning toilets in Leavenworth.

I don't think that's quite correct. It's well known that after the Civil War many troops were offered the chance to buy their service weapon. This was at least partly due to the fact that there was a huge surplus of weapons, many of which were already obsolete by military standards (the new breech loaders and repeaters were seen as the weapon of the future for the armed forces). I have never read of this policy being continued at later times as far as the ordinary enlisted man was concerned (officers were treated differently, at least as far as their sidearms were concerned).

Issued weapons were considered government property and were expected to be turned in or otherwise accounted for. An enlisted man who could not produce his issued weapon when the troops were being demobilized would, at minimum, be docked the cost of his weapon from his pay. Some may have kept their weapon and accepted the deduction from their pay but this was not, in the governments eyes, a legal sale such as occurred after the civil war. It was considered a "lost" or stolen weapon.

The stories of troops throwing weapons overboard seem to arise mainly from the troops fondness for souvenirs (possibly including their own service weapons that they hadn't turned in as required). The US military had a rather generous policy for war souvenirs during the WWII era but it did require paperwork and an officer sign off (and did not include US issue weapons). Some men did not bother with paperwork (for a variety of reasons) or had items that were of questionable legality. When a rumor (often untrue) started that they would be searched before being allowed off the ship they were returning on some panicked and tossed items overboard. I have had stories of this from more than one old veteran who recounted how upset some guys were that they tossed guns and then weren't searched at all or the "search" being nothing more than answering a few questions.

How did the US army handle guns post war, before the WTBS? I’m thinking there were a few 1803 issued in 1812.
A photo from Gettysburg showed an elderly man who turned out to fight with his 1812 musket that had been cut back to a half stock.
Lisa had a ‘sporterized’ Brown Bess during the late Spanish /French early western fur trade. Was this a modified service musket, or an officers private fusil?
Henry would produce an ‘English’ style rifle for the western trade. It looked like a cross between English Baker and typical Lancaster rifle. And the Texas rangers seized a number of guns from a freebooter group, and amount then was a British service musket( 3ed model?).

Now a question to kick about is how many military rifles got in to civilian hands?
How did the US army handle guns post war, before the WTBS? I’m thinking there were a few 1803 issued in 1812.
A photo from Gettysburg showed an elderly man who turned out to fight with his 1812 musket that had been cut back to a half stock.
Lisa had a ‘sporterized’ Brown Bess during the late Spanish /French early western fur trade. Was this a modified service musket, or an officers private fusil?
Henry would produce an ‘English’ style rifle for the western trade. It looked like a cross between English Baker and typical Lancaster rifle. And the Texas rangers seized a number of guns from a freebooter group, and amount then was a British service musket( 3ed model?).

tenngun, I assume these two posts are related.

I don't think there is any doubt that military arms made their way into civilian hands. How many? Some militia were provided with State owned arms. Some militia provided their own arms. Even with State owned arms, some militia were allowed to keep their arms in their homes. Easy for these to eventually become unaccounted for.

At the Federal level, the government established arsenals where arms were checked back in at the end of engagements. Probably fewer Federal arms made their way into civilian hands than State militia arms.

In one question, you seem to be asking about military rifles and the other, military arms in general.

As far as military rifles are concerned, they were primarily the 1792 Contract Rifle, the 1803 Harper's Ferry Rifle, the 1807 Contract Rifle, the 1814 Contract Rifle, the 1817 Contract Rifle, and Hall's patent breechloading rifle. Small numbers of these may have found their way into civilian hands. Some of the 1792 Contract rifles were given to Indians as trade and treaty rifles. Some 1792 and possibly 1807 Contract rifles were issued to some of Andrew Jackson's men and used in the Battle of New Orleans. Lewis and Clark expedition arms were auctioned off in St. Louis after their return. There were some HF 1803 sold when some garrisons were closed. But again, the numbers of these rifles to find their way into civilian hands were probably small in comparison to the trade guns and Kentucky rifles that were readily available.

As far as military muskets, there were probably a fair number of militia muskets in civilian hands at any one time. I doubt that very many of these made their way west before 1840, though. They were of large caliber, .69" to .75" bores. They were intended for volley fire and not very accurate with military issue ammo. I could see settlers and farmers using them for hunting with shot or buck-and-ball as well as defense against marauding Indians, but not the arm of choice for a hide hunter or fur trader/trapper.

From what I can find in George Moller's books, the Ordnance Department conducted a number of inventories of muskets and rifles in the early 1840s (the Army adopted the percussion system in 1842 and wanted to know how many flintlock guns they had). There were approximately 1 million flintlock muskets in federal repositories, in the hands of the armed forces, and in the possession of the individual states. There were about 73,000 flintlock rifles in possession of the federal and state governments at that time. These numbers show that the federal and state governments still had most of the arms they had procured over the years in their possession.

The first large scale sale of military arms that I could find was authorized by Congress in March 1849 in an act that enabled government-owed small arms to be sold to the civilian emigrants at the government's cost. This followed the end of the Mexican War and reflected the government's desire to populate the newly acquired territories. A popular arm purchased by the emigrants was the percussion Model 1841 rifle, also called the "Mississippi" rifle, at $14 each.

I think it’s interesting that about the time that halfstocks are coming instyle the 1803 is produced. Military rifles of the day were full stock, and the US Army went back to full stock like the Mississippi rifle, and even after breechloaders were adopted.

I agree, the HF 1803 really stands out as an anomaly among the US military small arms prior to the Civil War. It may have been a pet project between Secretary of War Henry Dearborn and Superintendent of Harpe'rs Ferry Joseph Perkins. It was obviously an experiment on the scale of the later Hall breechloanding rifle, though more Hall rifles were made than 1803's. It was the first time a government armory made a rifle and the first regulation rifle for the Army. Previous rifles for the army were non-regulation rifles procured from private gunmakers.

Between 1804 and 1807, musket production was shut down at the Harper's Ferry Armory so the armory's full capacity could be dedicated to producing the Model 1803 rifles. It's interesting that Dearborn authorized Tench Coxe in early 1807 to contract for 2,000 rifles from Pennsylvania gunsmiths to make the Model 1807 Contract rifles instead of continuing to make more 1803's. That might suggest that the HF 1803 wasn't that well received or that Dearborn just wanted the Harper's Ferry to get back to producing muskets.

With the outbreak of the War of 1812, the Harper's Ferry did resume making Model 1803's from 1814 to 1820. Also during this period, the government contracted out with private gunsmiths to make the more conventional full stock Model 1814 and the Model 1817 rifles. This suggests there were proponents for the half stock regulation rifle and proponents for the full stock regulation rifle active at the same time. The full stock proponents appear to have won out in the end.

With regards to half vs full stock it’s my opinion the half stock, the 1803 in this case, lost out in a military setting for the same reason Military rifles still carried full stocks into and through the middle of the 20th century. In fact, you could argue the full length handguards on the Army’s rifles today are still full stocks, just not made out of wood.

Heat. Barrels get hot. Under extended fire I bet the 1803 got hot. And there was nowhere to grab it that wasn’t hot.

Form? Or fashion? Both?

Back