• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flintlock pistol - fire start

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easy to do!
Prime your pan with a little too much powder, turn your pistol lock side up, rest your tinder on the pan.
When you pull the trigger the tinder will light, but you have to be quick to get it to the fire material.
Do be sure the barrel is empty, and pointing safely away.
Fred

I simply use the lock on either pistol or long gun as flint and steel. I place a piece of charcloth over the empty pan, arranged in such a way that the touchhole is blocked, close the frizzen and fire the lock. Sparks will light the cloth, and then I put it into my tinder bundle and blow it into flame, as usual.

I have been doing this for a long time, I do it almost always with a loaded gun, and I've never had it fire. I wouldn't do it with a loaded gun if I was in camp, etc.

Spence

Do you mean one used to block the touchhole? No, it wouldn't, but the way I do it, it's not necessary.

Spence

50 years ago I put together a 16 ga muzzle loading pistol. I used to shoot rats along the mississippi with it. I used to use toilet paper for wadding. When ever I shot over dry grass I had a fire to put out!

A week ago things haven't changed that much, I had a fire to put out when I used paper towels for wadding when proof testing a new barrel!

No need to risk setting off the main charge. Simply remove the lock before using it as a tinder lighter.

If I were going to that much trouble, I'd just use flint and stel. :grin:

Spence

That's the way I've done it, only with the rifle unloaded. Years ago read a piece about colonial homes with bullet holes around the fireplace as a sort of proof that it was done "back then". So I definitely would not risk it with a loaded firearm.

I have used a flintlock rifle and smoothbore to light charcloth, but never tried a pistol. Properly because I don't own a flintlock pistol " yet ". :wink:

Latest posts

Back