• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock .58 for big Black Bears

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best of luck on your bear hunt!

Myself, after multiple times of been treated worse than a wild-eyed bushy bearded guy from Pakistan by the Canadian border NAZI'S, I REFUSE to make another trip to Canada. If you've ever done a business trip to Canada that involves a service call to repair a CNC machine, then you know what I mean.
Lots of good hunting in the lower 48 and Alaska...

I killed a decent one with a .45 cal flintlock here in Maine using 50 grains of BP. I have killed them with muzzle loaders from .45-62. They are a thin skinned animal and their vitals are on the other side. Boone and Crockett killed hundreds with .38 cal or so. You punch a hole through both lungs and the bear will go no more than 50-100 yards, they run out of oxygen! You make a piss poor shot with a .62 and you will never find them. Practice with what you have. Baits are usually 20-25 yards or so, you will be shooting from an elevated stand off a rest. Talk to your outfitter and find out the details. Every bear I have shot or shot at had no interest in coming over to introduce themselves. They leave at a high rate of speed! PM me for some info.
Nit Wit

Best of luck on your bear hunt!

Myself, after multiple times of been treated worse than a wild-eyed bushy bearded guy from Pakistan by the Canadian border NAZI'S, I REFUSE to make another trip to Canada. If you've ever done a business trip to Canada that involves a service call to repair a CNC machine, then you know what I mean.
Lots of good hunting in the lower 48 and Alaska...

I've been drawn down on by US border guards too so everyone has had bad experiences....apparently a black guy with same name name as me was wanted for murder. I'm very white.

Wasn’t referring to border shutdown. Was referring to the comment regarding taking black powder across the border.
Walk
Ammunition, primers and powders
As per the Explosives Regulations, 2013, Section 45, a person may import, export or transport in transit explosives without a permit if the following conditions are met:

• the explosive is imported, exported, or transported in transit for personal use and not for commercial purposes
  • the explosive enters or leaves Canada with the person importing it; or exporting it or, if the explosive is transported in transit, it remains with the person transporting it at all times
  • in the case of small arms cartridges, the cartridges do not include a tracer, incendiary or similar military component or device (for example, an armour-piercing handgun projectile)
  • the quantity of the explosive being imported, exported, and transported in transit is not more than the quantity set out in the table
Within the prescribed limits, non-residents can import 200 rounds duty free for hunting purposes, or up to 1,500 rounds duty free for use at a recognized competition.

Information on permits to import personal quantities of explosives in excess of those outlined in the Explosives Regulations, 2013or on importation for commercial purposes can be found in Memorandum D19-6-1, Administration of the Explosives Act, or by contacting Natural Resources Canada.

Thanks so much to all for your input and information. Trip is scheduled for June 2022 so as it draws nearer I'm sure I'll come up with more questions.

Back