• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flattened Day Powder Horn.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks great. I'm just getting started on horn work. I have a horn that has a very oval base that I think would press flat really nice and make a good priming horn, but I dont know how it's done... Do you heat the horn up and press it under a heavy flat object?

MIGHTY nice horn.........understated elegance.

What was your procedure for flattening?

I love flat horns, only problem is since I made a flat one I don't like to use the dozen or so round horns that I used to think were great but now think are too big and bulky. Gotta make some more flat ones. Yours is excellent.
Deadeye

This is what I was think about doing. I was going to put the horn on a piece of paper and trace around it to use as my pattern for the interior mold. This would make the mold the same size as the horn before I flatten. Is this going to work. In my thinking the mold should be about the size of the horn after I flatten it.

horner75 said:
I made several sizes of interior forms and then use the one that fits best for the horn I'm flattening!

Woodse, You do it the way you are talking about and your horn will still be wider when you start to flatten it! ... Sometimes you have to just experiment. There is no one answer, as all horns are different!

Rick

The horn that I have is bigger then I want the finished horn to be is it better to cut it off shorter before or after you flatten them.

Back