• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Welp, I botched my first powder horn about 10 hours into it.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFriendOfLife

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey all. I had a buffalo powder horn kicking around that I had started a while ago. I finally kicked myself hard enough to finish it.

My plan was to boil it in oil and flatten it. Not common for buffalo I know, but I've seen it done before.

Well, like an idiot, I left my horn in the oil while it was heating, so I cooked it, it started bubbling pretty badly.

I still went ahead with shaping it to see how well it would shape, hoping I could at least clean it up and just have a birthmark on the horn, but it started cracking.

So 10-15 hours wasted. I know it's my first horn, and I know I can't learn without mistakes....

But damn, it hurts a lot.

Any good ideas on how to salvage this? Maybe I can cut it shorter and make a small powder horn, or at least a priming horn (depending on how well it cleans up...)

My pre-1840's mentor says the mountain men never made the same mistake ONCE. So now that you've seen my mistake, don't leave your horn in the oil damnit!

Attachments

• PXL_20220818_080131008.jpg
    PXL_20220818_080131008.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20220818_080138774.jpg
    PXL_20220818_080138774.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Buff/bison horn is pretty thick and not easily workable. It has never been a preferred material for my tastes. A finished buff horn is heavy. You might just want to use the material for other purposes and find a bovine horn for your next project.

Back