• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fish House Punch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
According to Wikipedia, this goes back to around 1744 in the colonies.

1 750 ml bottle of Jamaican rum
12 ounces of cognac (cheap cognac is OK but it must be cognac; no other brandy will do)
1/4 cup of peach brandy.
1 cup sugar
1½ cups of fresh squeezed lemon juice.
3½ cups of water.

Mix the juice, sugar, and water together to basically make lemonade...make sure the sugar is dissolved. Then add the booze. I like mixing this up and putting it into a jug to mellow for 24 hours before serving.

Serve chilled. It's often served in a punch bowl with a single block of ice to chill the beverage, and some lemon slices floating on the surface. It's supposed to promote one's health when served on New Year's Eve (probably due to the Vitamin C in the drink from the lemon juice - wards of winter scurvy)

LD

Sounds good to me. We currently live in a very contentious society, everyone on pins and needles. I recommend the drink- solves a lot of troubles :grin:

We have it Thankgivingish at a mid 1700's period correct farm and manorhouse dinner held just for we who reenact. Authentic period dress mandatory. Had it at the various inns at Williamsburg as well. It's an alright beverage or sure, but as much a special holiday novelty as anything to me. I prefer straight spirits. Still, we always do the punch as well as a Shrub of some kind which is another period drink (or a fruity part of one that can include whiskey).

Between the rum, rye, and ale thank goodness anyone can find a spot anywhere on the floor to sleep overnight including in front of one of the many fireplaces.

It has always astounded me how much our forefathers drank. They really were, in my opinion, walking around buzzed all the time...

I've had the "ground come up and hit me in the side of the head" twice in my lifetime. Once, in college on the Marine Corps Birthday, my senior year, having completed OCS the previous summer so I was officially a Marine, .... happened while "walking" home from the celebration....

..., the second was upon finishing my second mug of that stuff at Fort Frederick right after enlisting as a loyalist, back in the mid 90's .... :redface:

LD

LD;
I was just going over the recipe in my head as to why it went to yours...

It's almost half liquor by volume! Two MUGS (let's say water glasses)? That's, what, six jiggers right there!? I'm gonna have to revisit drinkin' that... LOL

That particular recipe should SOON make everyone "sweet as a peach".
("Sweet as a peach" being an old Southron way of saying, "drunk as an owl".)

CHUCKLE.

yours, satx

Well tomorrow night is the night- what exactly makes a good shrub? Was there wiggle room or precise recipes?

I cannot tell you how ancient that "our family recipe" is BUT I do know that my AL and MS ancestors have been making this PEACH SHRUB SYRUP (to "cut" white corn likker or other whiskey) since they fled to TX just after TWBTS.

To serve 2 goodly servings:

In a glass or pottery bowl
MASH one 8-ounce cup of ripe/chopped peaches,
ADD 4 T white or raw sugar,
ADD one T freshly finely-chopped fresh ginger
and
MIX well until sugar dissolves,
Allow to sit covered for at least an hour at room temperature
and
ADD a CUP of GOOD QUALITY wine vinegar.
(TRUST ME, you do NOT want to use CHEAP "grocery store" vinegar in this recipe! - IF you make really good homemade fruit vinegar, use that.)

POUR mixture into a sterilized screw-top jar & REFRIGERATE for at least 2-3 days.
STRAIN mixture through cheesecloth &
DISCARD solid matter.
(Peach syrup will "keep" for a month or more, if kept sealed/cold.)

To make a POWERFUL alcoholic drink, MIX peach-vinegar syrup with white corn to taste.
(In my GF's day, 2 parts 120-140 proof likker to one part syrup was deemed "about right". = My GF would have mixed/refrigerated the mixture of likker/syrup & served it WITHOUT ice.)

In our HOT Texas Summers, the syrup is also good mixed with white wine OR moonshine & served over ice.
(In Texas, consuming glasses of shrub is said to, "hace que las bragas caen".)

ENJOY, satx

Ben Franklin liked Orange Shrub.

His was basically a rum based screwdriver.

1.5 ounces of rum
6 ounces of Orange Juice (fresh squeezed or as close as you can get to that is best).

or

4 cups rum
12 cups orange juice
in a one gallon jug.

Best to do the recipe tonight, and serve tomorrow night.

LD

Just doing some ruff & reddy math on those proportions and you're still hovering around 90 proof with the finished product. That's sure fire panty remover. :bow:

YEP.

Mixed with about 25% white likker by volume & poured over crushed ice & the tall glass filled up with white wine it works WELL.
(HEATS UP our HOT Texas Summers to BLAZING, quickly.)

And as my Uncle Jack used to say, "Everyone soon becomes sweet as a ripe peach".

HAPPY NEW YEAR, satx

Gerard Dueck said:
Just doing some ruff & reddy math on those proportions and you're still hovering around 90 proof with the finished product. That's sure fire panty remover. :bow:

If you're not right you're close enough; tonight I'm not even going to wear 'em, that's how strong that stuff sounds!

My "Summer shrub mixture" is about 40-50 proof & tastes like FRUIT PUNCH. = It will put you in the facedown, insensible, position IF you don't watch "your Ps & Qs".
(You could ask my kid sister's Matron of Honor about that subject, as she suddenly/quietly slid off the couch & onto the carpet at the "after wedding party" party. = We left her there, as you can't fall off the floor.)

Btw, I've made 2 gallons of Fish House Punch for tonight's party at BEETHOVEN MAENNERCHOR.- I think that my friends will enjoy it.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, satx

Alden said:
Gerard Dueck said:

If you're not right you're close enough; tonight I'm not even going to wear 'em, that's how strong that stuff sounds!
I think I need a glass or two of it to get the picture of you in panties out of my head :surrender:

Back