• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Shooting Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k.jacobfrost

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This is the first shooting bag I have made. Please let me know what you think, honest criticism is highly appreciated.

It's based on the patterns and photos in "Recreating the 18th Century Hunting Pouch" by T.C. Albert

It's a double pouch design with two small pockets sewn to the back piece and is about 9"x9". I started with artificial sinew then got a spool of some old waxed linen thread so I finished it with that. The leather is a combination of chrome and veg tanned and came from scraps at work and a local leather store. The strap is a wool/synthetic blend scrap that was a gray-is plaid that I overdyed with black walnut and iron. The overall cost for materials was less then $3.

As you can tell I made a few mistakes (like sewing one of the pouch parts with the wrong side out) and I need to adjust the strap so the buckle will sit lower on my back so it won't sit so close to my shoulder. But over all I'm happy with it.

I still need to add some straps to hold my powder horn and cut down the front so I can get my hand into the front pocket easier.

100_1232.jpg

100_1233.jpg

100_1234.jpg

100_1235.jpg

100_1236.jpg

100_1237.jpg

Thanks,
Frost

It looks like quite a fine job! I have a bag also made from a random collection of pieces and while mine's not much to look at, it works just fine.

I typically don't use any brass on my pouches. I've heard it was not commonly used for rings and buckles of this type, so I've always used iron. I like the iron fittings better, anyway.

Albert's book is quite a piece of work, isn't it?

:hatsoff:

Thanks,

I used brass hardware cause it was easily available and I was in a hurry to get it done. I may go see a friend of mine and have him help me forge some iron hardware for it.

Albert's book is nice but I have a few problems or questions about it. For instance burnishing the edges of the leather that end up on the inside of the pouch which isn't that big of a mystery but the biggest is dyeing the leather after it's sewn together? It would make more sense to do all the dyeing before you assemble the pouch, or that's what my working as a leather crafter has taught me. I think I would have included more detail photos of extant hunting pouches too, but I'm a little obsessive compulsive about that.

Personally if that is all I can take issue with in the book, I would say it's a vary well done book.

Frost

:thumbsup: gees ya dun swell! excellent job! :thumbsup: wanna double yerr money?? :haha: truly nicest job!! :hatsoff:

lookin' good to me! :hatsoff: better planned and executed than my first and current bag. I just made mine up.

pardon my ignorance ...but what is the gizmo next to your short starter...a wire pick or something?

Steve

Frost, very nice pouch! I really like everything about it, colors,size,shape,strap,etc... There's certainly no reason you could not dye the leather before hand. :thumbsup:

Thanks Steve, these are things folks always wanted to know, but were to afraid to ask... :grin:

Frost nice bag, don't sweat the outside in pocket deal...happened to me just Mon or Tues, i had been talking to Boom Boom off and on all morning while designed a neck knife sheath, got the pattern all figured out got everything cut out, cut all the leather, then realized i had fogotten to flip the pattern when transferring it to leather,,,those pieces of leather are now going be wrist bands for the baby grandkids...whilst i begin again...happens to everyone...continue to march, Frost, Good on ya... :hatsoff:

Steve,

You guessed rite. The gizmo next to my short starter is a nipple pick. Comes in real handy sense my rifle is a caplock. Forgot it once, that was a real pain in the a#$.

Frost

Back