• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adiochiro3

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Being a newbie to the forum, I'm not sure if my powder horn design/build fits the criteria; no hard feelings if not.

I ordered a horn that turned out to be what I thought was a bit small (~5 inches), and I noticed some folks will install a hollowed out wood plug to gain a bit more volume for the powder. I originally intended to do just that, when I remembered an elk antler base left over from an earlier project.

I decided to leave the horn as it came rather than re-shaping it round. I filed and fit the antler base to the horn, and then hollowed it out to hold more powder and make it lighter.

IMG_2828.jpg
[/img]

I drilled and shaped the tip, and made a tapered antler tine plug. I also drilled and taped the antler base and made a threaded plug for easier filling (I noticed some horns had a base plug and thought it a good idea).

IMG_2826.jpg
[/img]

IMG_2825.jpg
[/img]

Here is what it will look like when assembled:

IMG_2827.jpg
[/img]

I plan on adding the leather lanyards after final assembly. Thanks for looking!

I REALLY LIKE IT! I don't think I've ever seen another like this..The only thing I would do different is probably put a wooden plug in..looks like the one you have may be made of deer horn and if it is,you may have issues with it sealing up right.

Very unique, I like it. I think I have seen a combination of different shades of the same type of horn, but not a species mix like that. I'd love to see it when you get completely finished with it. My first, and so far only, home-made horn looks like trash compared to yours. I use mine to hold shot, and it works, but is cosmetically and esthetically challenged.

Very neat idea and it looks like you did a nice job of mating them up. Looking forward to seeing it when its finished.

Ron

MSW said:
very nice... i really like how your threads looks nice and neat and clean . mine look dreadful.

Thanks! I'll let you in on my secret: I wick in thin cyanoacrylate (CA) glue to make the hardwood fibers more stout. As the first light cut with the die is cut, I back the die off and wick in more glue to stabilize things, hit it with accelerator to cure it, and cut a little more.

A little tedious, but the results are quite satisfacotry. Make sure you back the die all the way off so you don't glue it to the wood. :shocked2: I used a regular course thread metal cutting die because I was too cheap to buy the ridicoulously priced taps and dies for wood at the woodworking store. :shake:

Back