• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First order of Goex

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wink

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well after much debate and helpful input from members of this outstanding site I just received my first shipment of Goex FFF. I cant wait to get started. Hopefully delays and misfires that I experieced with BP substitutes will become a thing of the past.

Wink said:
Well after much debate and helpful input from members of this outstanding site I just received my first shipment of Goex FFF. I cant wait to get started. Hopefully delays and misfires that I experieced with BP substitutes will become a thing of the past.

What subs were those that were troublesome?

What nipples were used...OEM???

I-too switched to blackpowder recently.

Wink said:
As much as I thought Pyrodex RS was a very good sub for use in my caplocks years ago...and it was...once I switched to Goex it was like night and day...instantaneous, consistent ignition every shot...I'll be shocked if you aren't really impressed with it
:thumbsup:

I agreee,
I have a few pounds of Pyodex left over, but will never buy any more.
B/P is far and away the better choice, for both Caplocks and flinters

oldarmy said:
I agreee,
I have a few pounds of Pyodex left over, but will never buy any more.
B/P is far and away the better choice, for both Caplocks and flinters
When I switched to Flintlocks and Goex, I still had 9 or 10 lbs of Pyrodex RS left over from a year end Walmart sale at less than $10/lb.

I've been using it up in my Flintlocks for weekend range shooting...20grns goex 3F downbore, then 30-40grns RS...works perfectly...I broke open my last pound of RS a couple weeks ago...should have it all finished up by hunting season.

I was using pyrodex RS with a CCI #11 cap and a hot shot nipple. I still plan on buying some CCI # 11 magnum caps. I also have some Musket caps but they are loose on the nipple and sometimes my TC White MT carbine hammer strikes but the cap fails to go off which I attribute to a loose fitting cap. Im hoping that 11 magnum caps a hotshot nipple and Goex FFF are the cure.

Wink said:
"...Im hoping that 11 magnum caps a hotshot nipple and Goex FFF are the cure..."
I use CCI#11 Magnums with Goex 3F in caplocks...like shooting a centerfire rifle.

I agree with the other posters. You will be pleased with real Goex Black Powder, and won't go back to the subs. You should have good ignition with CCI, # 11 Magnum Caps. I use both standard, and magnum, # 11 caps, and have instant ignition with both. I used to use Musket caps with the subs, but # 11 caps are flawless with real black powder.

One thing I've noticed about RS is that if you seat your ball too firm, you tend to get poor or no ignition.

Clutch

I always wondered what kind of pressure comes out of using bp + pyrodex. I wouldn't mind stretching out some black powder so I could use up a few cans of pyrodex I'm not likely to ever shoot straight.

Clutch

Clutch said:
One thing I've noticed about RS is that if you seat your ball too firm, you tend to get poor or no ignition.

Clutch
Interesting...my style of seating for sake of consistency from shot to shot is to seat the ball as hard as possible...I lean on the ramrod and I can hear the powder crunch.

When I blow it out with compressed air into a box of old towels, it comes out as a pellet, which is where I assume Hodgdon got the idea from to make pelletized versions of RS later on...ignition and accuracy was always good...targets, deer, never noticed any difference.

Clutch said:
I always wondered what kind of pressure comes out of using bp + pyrodex. I wouldn't mind stretching out some black powder so I could use up a few cans of pyrodex I'm not likely to ever shoot straight.

Clutch
I don't know...I only use it at the range with taget loads as I mentioned but there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary...and it's been very accurate and consistent using the "layered charge" approach...no question you can salvage your RS investment this way

I also like Goex. It is a really good powder. I use the new Remington caps and Dynamite Nobel 1075+ caps.

I think you will shoot the Goex & Never look back......

Like I always say: "If it ain't a Smokin' & a Stinkin', it is merely an Imitation !"

Birddog6 said:
I think you will shoot the Goex & Never look back......

Like I always say: "If it ain't a Smokin' & a Stinkin', it is merely an Imitation !"

I agree on both accounts. When I was shooting percussions, I went from Goex to Triple 7 to Black Mag3, to Pinnacle. With the substitutes, something was missing :confused: :hmm: It didn't feel the same when pouring into a measure and down the bore. The smoke wasn't as rich or the right color. It didn't have that wonderful sulfuric smell. I pondered the situation, then it came to me...Shoot real blackpowder! And I haven't looked back since :thumbsup:

Back