• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Muzzleloading Kit Build Thread

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are my initial looks at the stock.
10166989-61F9-40CF-B9BB-2C4C9C0FC424.jpeg

The stock must be maple, it has a faint 30-40% curl and very distinct figure.
F9900CB0-9020-47DD-A978-1399916517D9.jpeg

The stock is generally rough finished from the factory. This must be one of the very early kits, I didn’t know that these guns had curly maple stocks. I wish the curl was more visible in the images…hopefully I’ll be able to bring out the curl when I finish the stock.
BA4C5734-36EB-4A42-9667-87F5AE5173F9.jpeg

I’ve got some wood to remove, start with a nice file and give it a go after the grandkids are gone today.
7F82DC1E-47C8-4340-9E30-37402E883161.jpeg

My only kit build was a CVA 50cal Hawken Rifle bought many years ago. The kit was marked down to $35 as it was missing parts. It was a very accurate gun, but after a while I wanted a maple stock. I got a Leaman style precarved stock, ordered plain but they sent a nicer figured one, and wound up only keeping the barrel from the kit. Used a Siler lock and iron furniture. Never bought another kit but they were a good place to start for me.

Attachments

• IMG_1815.JPG
    IMG_1815.JPG
    450 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back