• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first muzzleloader ever shot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
what was the first muzzleloader you ever shot, and how old were you?

me..

H+R .58 caliber. at 12 years old, been hooked since. i really love the smell of burnt blackpowder!

Mine was just last year. I was wondering through Sportsmans wherhouse and found a Traditions Kentucky Pistol kit.....brought out all that childhood emagination stuff and just had to have it.....I built it in about 2 weeks and have been hooked ever sense!

A repro Colt 51 Navy was my first. Got it back in the mid 60s when I was in high school. If I recall correctly, Hunter's Haven on the river in Alexandria, Va was the retail outlet for Interarmco. At any rate they had a lot of mil surplus and black powder guns and that 51 Navy sure looked good......

I was in 1990 and I was 18 years old and it was a Investarm Hawken (similar to Lyman trade rifle). I bought it and went to a club. The guys there were very friendly and showed my everything. But after that I didn't go on with the ML stuff and started shooting modern guns. In 1998 then I went back to ML.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Back in '73 shot a buddies handbuilt longrifle, probably 37 years old. Now don't be counting up the years!!

I fired my first muzzleloader in 1963 I was 5 years old and remember it like it was yesterday. My neighbor built the gun in 1957, when he was a senior in high school, then joined the Army, when he got out in 1963 I heard him shooting the gun and my brother who was 8 called him, he told us to come on over and he let us shoot it. I've been shooting and building them ever since.

DSC02536.jpg

This is the rifle, when the gentleman died he had no children so the family gave the rifle to me. I still shoot it on occasion.
Longball58

The first muzzle loader I shot was the flintlock rifle I built at age 17 in 1967. The first shot hit a plastic bucket dead center at about 20 yards. I was one happy kid. :)

Probably '68 or '69 when a friend of my dads pulled out a Dixie long gun at the range if I reacall and a copuple of replica Colts, I was 16 or 17 and the rest is history....or a study of and attempt to re-enact history, I was 13 when I got my first ML a hand me down original austrian import civil war vintage not in condition to shoot but was real cool to pack around, it's still in one of the closets.

T/C Renegade my Dad's friend brought to hunting Camp.
That was around 1977 and I was 16.

Shot at a double bladed ax head stuck in a sideways tree stump with a clay on each side. When I split the ball and broke the clays, I had to get one.

Dad's replica 1803 Harper's Ferry (the Italian-made one in .58). He used to let us kids shoot it off a picnic table. I was probably 12. What a blast :grin:

1976, at the age of 15 I bought a kit from Sears for $70. I rebuilt that kit twice over the years plus many many others. Can't never get enough!

1977, I was 8 & it was my Great Great Grandfathers Colt 1851 Navy revolver .36.

Took me a while of begging to my grandfather to finally get to shoot it & the rest is history, my very first personal muzzleloader was a Pietta replica of a 1860 Army .44 from the Ace Hardware store in 1983 "Pop had to take it home for me" but I saved the $80.00 from my paper route money to officially call it mine. :)

Interesting stories.

My first was at 15 years old back around '63, from a rifle I built myself using plans I found in a Popular Mechanics or Mechanix Illustrated magazine. Used a 2-groove barrel from an '03-A3 Springfield I bought surplus for $3.95, and a lock from Dixie Gun Works. I had to use rubber bands stretched between the hammer spur and the drum to fire my homemade caps, which consisted of 2 or 3 cap pistol caps stuffed into a fired .22LR case.

The thing was neither accurate nor beautious to behold but it was MINE. Dad would have never allowed me to buy one (couldn't have afforded it anyway), but he never complained about my having one I made.

The first muzzleloader I ever shot was the Great Plains rifle I built. This was only a couple of years ago, and it was quite a feeling to first make smoke with something crafted with my own hands.
Scott

Back