• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first muzzleloader ever shot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
58 Remington. 1969, I was 12. It was the first gun I bought with my own money. I still have it.

I was 15 years old in 1980 and both Dad and I bought two TC Hawkens through mail order from what was then Bowhunter Discount Warehouse. We ordered the .54 caliber Hawken in order to hunt the new muzzleloader season.

I still remember the fun of touching off that first patched round ball at a target in the old sand pit.

It was also that year I had a misfire on a huge buck in Connecticut due to my stupidity. I "water proofed" the lock with WD-40. :cursing:

Old Kimar .45 Blackpowder pistol Kit. Only front sight, about 5'' barrel, very cheap but it worked.
I got it from my uncle, he also built one and after they were ready and finished we had to fire it!
I didnt know much about muzzleloading back than so I used a true .450 caliber ball in the .45 barrel with a patch! :shocked2: Needless to say I literally hammered the ball down the bore. Charge was about 35 grain of swiss FFFG. Aimed, fired, fire and smoke! :grin:
Hit the 9 at the first time. I was totally hooked. :hatsoff:

I was 16 back than if I remember correctly. :hmm:

nightwolf1974 said:
what was the first muzzleloader you ever shot, and how old were you?

I still have the first muzzleloader that I ever shot. It's my .58 Remington Zouve that I bought used, but like new in 1974. I was 19 when I bought it & I chased whitetails around with it until I bought my first T/C Renegade flinter for the Pennsylvania flintlock only muzzleloader season.

1987 or '88. I was 39 or 40. The weapon was a model 1861 Springfield, .58 caliber. That rifled musket belonged to my boss who was a Civil War reinactor. I borrowed the gun for hunting season that year, and took a small buck with it.

longball58 said:
I fired my first muzzleloader in 1963 I was 5 years old and remember it like it was yesterday. My neighbor built the gun in 1957, when he was a senior in high school, then joined the Army, when he got out in 1963 I heard him shooting the gun and my brother who was 8 called him, he told us to come on over and he let us shoot it. I've been shooting and building them ever since.

DSC02536.jpg

This is the rifle, when the gentleman died he had no children so the family gave the rifle to me. I still shoot it on occasion.
Longball58

Longball, that thing is sweet. It looks like it's been through a couple wars.

By the way I have never shot a ML'er but I'm finding a gun to buy and learn on.

My first time was in 1977 when I picked up a Navy Arms Hawken Hunter .58. I was hooked from the beginning. I picked up and built a CVA Mountain Rifle after that and built my first "scratch" buiid a couple of years later. It was the start of a lifelong addiction.

My first was a 50 cal. caplock pistol. Would have been somewhere around 1969. I think it may have been a Traditons not sure I was only about 12 - 13 years old but remember the sound, ths smell and the impression it made on me back then. I was instantly transformed back to pioneer times in a yooung man's day dreams!

My first ever was a little .44 double barrel pistol called the Corsair. I got it for my 12th or 13th birthday. That would have been over 30 years ago.

My family was big into guns, but nobody was into muzzleloaders. For some reason they attracted me in a big way and I asked for one for my birthday. They all tried to talk me out of it saying I wouldn't like it and telling me how useless they were. I'm glad I "stuck to my guns" because it turned into a lifelong passion.

I still remember what the gunshop owner said when we bought that first one. He said that black powder was the most addictive substance known to man. On whiff of the smoke and you were hopelessly addicted for life. I laughed at his silliness at the time, but sure enough, after the very first shot, I became hopelessly addicted.

nightwolf1974 said:
what was the first muzzleloader you ever shot, and how old were you?

me..

H+R .58 caliber. at 12 years old, been hooked since. i really love the smell of burnt blackpowder!

I was 20 and in the Air Force when I fired my first black powder weapon, a Ruger Old Army revolver. My first BP rifle was my trusty T/C Renegade 54 caliber flintlock which I got when I was 22 years of age.

.32cal CVA squirrel rifle when i was 18. my grandmother was afraid that the 1913 Stevens .12ga single shot that i squirrel hunted with was going to blow up and kill me so she bought the CVA at a garage sale one day. i still have both guns.

In 1965 my dad retrieved the old musket that hung in a shed on the family homestead. We completely refinished it, and when it was finished, I got to shoot it. It was an original 1860 Austrian Lorenz from the Civil War.
This gun now hangs proudly in my living-room. It will be passed down.

Mine was a no name late percussion .36 caliber with a cast steel (marked) barrel, was around 12-13 years old, so that would have been back in'sh 1952.

First original I pulled the trigger on was a third mod. Brown Bess long land pattern musket a friend had. This was about 1969. Caught the disease right then, and haven't got rid of that malady yet.

My older brother built a Dixie mountain rifle in .54 cal back in 1978 I was 15 years old the first time He took me out to shoot it. been hooked every since. He was killed in an auto accident 5 years ago and the rifle ended up in my hands. its still a great shooter. That's where I got my name .54 Mountain

Got a T/C Renegade Hunter in about 1990, still have it and will take it hunting for the first time in about 10 years on Nov 22.

Early seventies, when I was about twenty, I went with my brother in law to a military firing range here in Belgium.... We where the only ones with a frontstuffer then and everytime we came at the range we had a large crowd.... Still don't know for what they came ... the two juniors or their funny guns .... Had a Spanish build Kentucky style caplock gun, my brother in law a Hawken ...
Stopped after about ten years, and took it up again some three years back. I now have Pedersoli Frontier cal 45 flintlock and just LOOOOOOOVE that gun.... I go to work everyday with tears in my eyes - 'cause I have to leave it at home - all on its own - the poor thing! :grin:

In 1959, as a 15 year old kid, I bought a rusty 20 GA. Belgian caplock double at a gun show (times, they were a-different).

Didn't know a thing about muzzle loaders, and the nipples were about shot in that old gun. I brought it to a local gunsmith who drilled and tapped in new nipples at no charge and schooled me on the basics. He sold me a can of Dupont powder, a tin of #11 caps, and bag of #8 shot. His advice was to use the cap from the powder can to put in one cap full of powder and one cap full of shot, separated by as piece of wadded up newspaper packed down tightly on the powder.

What a RUSH. I killed a wheelbarrow full of blackbirds with that old gun over the next month, and have been hooked ever since.

Latest posts

Back