• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Fowler need help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Comer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
So got my first fowler told it was a 16 Gauge bought some 16 Gauge wads they are real lose, tried 12 Gauge real tight would have to trim them to work a guy had a gauge tool the tool showed bigger than 16 but just one notch shy of 12 Gauge? It's my understanding it was made in the 1500's

So got my first fowler told it was a 16 Gauge bought some 16 Gauge wads they are real lose, tried 12 Gauge real tight would have to trim them to work a guy had a gauge tool the tool showed bigger than 16 but just one notch shy of 12 Gauge? It's my understanding it was made in the 1500's
If you want to use pre-cut wads, first Measure the diameter of your bore at the muzzle, then visit Track of the Wolf or another seller of wads to get the closest size to fit your barrel. Start here: T O W
You can also use other types of wadding such as tow fibers, wasp nest, or possibly even green grass or corn meal !
Good Luck and good shooting.

Which wads you trying..

Just saying because I have that problem with my tc 12ga..

The 12ga are all loose right down.

The ten gauge is to big but.. the wool wads fit real nice.. the overshot is good.. the nitro card was bad but I Got It down.

You might have to jam them in at like a 45 angle. You can turn them with the rod after there in an inch.

The overshot cards fit good on the slightly large side..

But then again it's 12 and 10.

Last edited:
Just a matter of fonding the right size. If too tight go down one size, ìf to loose go up one size. REMEMBER AS THE SIZE GOES UP THE GA# GOES DOWN. 11 smaller than 10and larger than 12, 15 larger than 16 and 18 smaller than 16. If you just have a realy odd size bore you may have to make your own, but with the availability of standard and metric punches these days you shouldn't have a problem finding something something that will work.

Back