• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about what to load in a smoothbore.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah hog would need slug, 60 cal round ball, plus a fixed bayonet in case I miss and it comes running at me or in case I hit it and it comes running after me lol. Thanks for all the help. For the record I did hunt hogs once on private property. He was a trapper the hog game owner and let people pay to shoot them in the pen. I wouldn't hunt that way again was like shooting fish in a barrel. I had a HK 91 clone with me that day. I did eat the hog I shot FYI.

Last edited:
I need to get my hunting license. I am in the gulf coast of Florida. I don't even know if Grouse exist where I live in the Tampa area. I know there are some wild chickens running around and turkey. I have seen a few Turkey vultures up close eating road kill. We got some wild hogs an anacondas too but I would not shoot a hog with 50 bb pellets and 90 grains of ff because it may not take it down on one shot. Hogs are mean lol. I should be able to take it to an outdoor range either just a few days before Thanksgiving or black Friday. I heard of people cannibalizing center fire shot gun shells. I would rather not do that. I agree that lead could make the bird poisonous. I think copper bb pellets exist, that shouldn't ruin the bore. Steel bb could.
If lead would make the bird poisonous we would not have hundreds of years of history of hunting with lead. But if you don't get all the pellets out, lead or other, you could have some dental expense.

The prohibitions against lead shot arose from waterfowl ingesting it when they fed.

Lots of good info here on smoothbores - check out the older posts, also. As stated earlier (and I repeat it because it's important), as long as shot and powder are the same by VOLUME, not weight. and are reasonable - you're good to go. Nice gun, by the way.

stevenj4810, i sense that you are possibly a generation or two younger than I. i would like to thank you for getting into this great sport. many times i fear there won't be a next generation carrying muzzleloading forward.​

continue your interest and don't hesitate to ask about anything. some here may seem gruff and they are. don't let that put you off.
this forum is kinda like the borg. our brains are joined by black powder and the collective here have the answers.
stay safe and congratulation on the rifle.
ps . i rather doubt grouse inhabit the Tampa area. but you have great turkey.
on my bucket list is shooting a gator with my flintlock.

Hopefully this is unnecessary to say, but it has been suggested a couple of times above to cannibalize shotgun shells for the shot. Please remember, DO NOT USE THE POWDER IN THOSE SHELLS in your muzzle loader. Sorry if this is a totally unnecessary post, but by your post, you seem a bit of a novice, and I just wanted to make sure it was clear.

I am 38 just turned early November. Yes I am very aware to never use smokeless in a black powder firearm. I appreciate the advice and I do shift through old post on this board often. I am just trying to figure out loads to test at the range. I am not ready to hunt with it yet lol. I will buy a large bag of shot next paycheck. We have a lot of wild chickens and turkey in Florida.

Last edited:
Tampa area huh? Not sure you'll find much wild bird hunting, but I could be wrong.
But, head north a bit and you can get into some turkeys and deer. Alachua county on up into the Fort White area I've seen plenty of turkeys and deer.
Maybe there are some places that hold quail between Tampa and there? It isn't really a climate for grouse or pheasant. Maybe some stocked pheasant?
Quail would be a more likely native game bird to the region, possibly doves. Both of these are going to be targets which you will probably want smaller size shot for. You won't need the killing power of #5 shot and may want the added pattern density of having more pellets of the smaller shot in a 7/8 or 1 ounce load.
Both quail and doves are delicious by the way....

Oh, BTW, doves are migratory so special laws and regulations might apply, we don't get them here so I am not sure.

I tried to look and see if it was mentioned and I could have missed it if it was I do apologize. But you can make it as complicated or simple as you like, if you want to keep it simple what I like to do is if I’m shooting 60grans of BP I use my BP measure and just add equal shot. So if I’m using 90grams BP I will use equal shot by just dumping the shot in my measure horn and once it’s full of bbs then I know I’m good. Nice thing with this is it doesn’t matter what size of shot you use or even if it’s mixed shot once it fills your measure horn with the same amount of BP you want to shoot you know your good. This is a good starting point you can get more in-depth if you like or just enjoy shooting as is it’s totally up to you!

I keep two fixed measures being 60 and 90 grain on my necklace for fast loading. I can use them for shot too. It is just cotton cord necklace for muzzle loading. I have a second shorter length cotton cord necklace that has a priming flask and prick on it. We have deer in Florida. They are so tiny though, they are the size of a wolf or great Dane. Hogs are plenty but those suckers fight back! i will check the laws on bird hunting. I am going to test it at the range. There are a lot chickens. People keep them for eggs in their yard and to eat insects. Certain cities have chickens roaming around. Lots of pythons and gators too but I wouldn't hunt them with a flintlock, too dangerous if your shot doesn't kill them. Alligators have armored skin on their top side. You have to shoot their head or underbelly. Pythons grow as big as cars in the everglades no thanks lol.

From the sound you should take a hunter safety course most states require them for a first time hunter.

Note turkeys that are wild are a game animal with seasons and bag limits. Same as deer.

Don't even think of shooting a turkey buzzard as they a Federally protected shooting one can be a huge fine and possible jail term

BB lead shot would be used on foxes, coyotes you are much better off with 5's or 6's for grouse which are also considered game with hunting season and bag limit

From the sound you should take a hunter safety course most states require them for a first time hunter.

Note turkeys that are wild are a game animal with seasons and bag limits. Same as deer.

Don't even think of shooting a turkey buzzard as they a Federally protected shooting one can be a huge fine and possible jail term

BB lead shot would be used on foxes, coyotes you are much better off with 5's or 6's for grouse which are also considered game with hunting season and bag limit
I do need to take a course. I was just stating Turkey vultures because it is the only type of Turkey I have seen in person in Florida. I never hurt one and definitely won't now that I know they are a federally protected species.

https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/nonnatives/birds/game-birds/
I found a list from the Florida Wild life Commission on what is an acceptable game bird. Grouse is on the list so they must exist in my state. They are listed under non native though.

https://myfwc.com/hunting/waterfowl/hunt-guide/regulations/
Found this for water fowl hunting in Florida.

Last edited:
I need to get my hunting license. I am in the gulf coast of Florida. I don't even know if Grouse exist where I live in the Tampa area. I know there are some wild chickens running around and turkey. I have seen a few Turkey vultures up close eating road kill. We got some wild hogs an anacondas too but I would not shoot a hog with 50 bb pellets and 90 grains of ff because it may not take it down on one shot. Hogs are mean lol. I should be able to take it to an outdoor range either just a few days before Thanksgiving or black Friday. I heard of people cannibalizing center fire shot gun shells. I would rather not do that. I agree that lead could make the bird poisonous. I think copper bb pellets exist, that shouldn't ruin the bore. Steel bb could.
You definitely do not have grouse in FL. Turkey doves and quail are about it. That and water fowl. BB size shot are way to big for doves and quail.

Hi all, I recently completed a 20 gauge Pedersoli Indian trade gun kit from DGW. I didn't take pictures yet. Still needs a little touch up but I am happy with it. I didn't buy 60 cal round ball yet. I did buy a whole bunch of lead round bb gun ammo .177 caliber to use as shot. Has anyone use lead bb gun roundball as shot in a muzzleloader here? I think three or four balls at a time should be okay. I haven't fired it yet, I only got it last Wednesday. I accidentally ordered 12 gauge wads so I sent them back to DGW to exchange for 20 gauge wads. I have a few dozen rounds down my two flintlock 50 cal rifles. This is my first smoothbore. I have read through the forum as there are many posts for the Pedersoli trade gun and they have been helpful.

https://jdtactical.com/product/gamo-177-lead-roundball-bbs-8-2-grains-250pk-tin/
That's what I bought just from a different vendor.
You can use 2F or 3F powder so get a couple pounds or more , 2F preferred but you can use either one . 60- 65 gr. for your loads . #5 shot for squirrel and rabbit , an once , and #4 for turkey , an ou CE and a quarter . Round ball , use a .595 for patched ball , t -shirt material is best its about .015 thick and cheap to free . You can use .600 ball , I did for years but love the.595 in a true 20 ga. barrel now , but I found them tight esp after a couple shots but you can use them or .610 ball naked , good out to approx . 40-50 yards.

For a 20 ga #4 buckshot is what is reccomended. They are .240 and you would run about 12. Now that is buckshot. For small game and turkey about an ounce over 60 to 80 grs of powder. 4 .177 balls wouldn't do much

Finish building that gun. If you're like me, sometimes I get almost done and can't wait until it's finished before shooting. Typically, that's when it'll get stained, knocked over, etc. marring something that wouldn't have happened if the gun was completely finished. THEN go shoot.

Take the hunter ed course. Chances are, if it's an in-person course, you may make new friends to hunt with. At least you'll gain knowledge (and that's always good). You may very well be the only muzzle loading shotgunner (including the instructors), so be kind to them. Have FUN!

Don’t let the na- sayers disheartened you…

Here’s a post from days gone bye…

Shove it & shoot it!

That’s 2 ozs of copper plated bb’s out of my 16 gauge smoothbore..👍

The rest of the story…

085D5C69-B3C3-4ADF-BA61-14E20241188D.jpeg

Back