• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First deer hunt of the season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickey Brown

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Here in La. yesterday was the first day of the special early hunt for honorably discharged veterans. My arthritis and aches and pains make it hard to get moving early of a morn, so I usually hunt afternoons. I donned my whole period clothing, put some jerky and water in the haversack, got out Cota Dearge (JP Beck .50) and drove to my place.
Since I hunt close to the property line I opted to hunt from one of our tripod stands. It was very quiet and saw one yearling deer and a turkey early. At 4:30 the guy that owns the property across the fence decided to bush hog.:cursing: I convinced him to delay. Just before dark a doe stuck her head out but was very nervous and never quite got still before walking off. I stayed till I couldn't see the sights then climbed down. once again deer 1 me 0 :td:
10701936_10202897249212557_5981850739098381219_n_zps582ed416.jpg

A bad day hunting beats a good day doing anything else. Thank you for your service :bow:

then you don't have the half crazed :youcrazy: look of a nut in funny Daniel Boone clothes with this ungodly long rifle a huge knife and a hawk :idunno: but I doubt that had anything to do with it. The look on hid face when he spotted me, after I yelled, was priceless

It's fun and I don't shoot very often, they have to meet personal standards, but I do keep score. I have been deer hunting for 50 years and now it's about the challenge, I did nothing but bow hunt for years till a torn rotator cuff and arthritis ended that, I never cared much for crossbows so I know use my long rifle. However deer meat does provide the majority of my red meat

I should say it did :rotf: I didn't think of it at first but I guess that and being over 5 feet tall and close to 300 was a factor also

You can't go wrong if you're in the woods with a flintlock, even if you don't shoot anything!

Thanks for your service :hatsoff:

Henry Morrison said:
I should say it did :rotf: I didn't think of it at first but I guess that and being over 5 feet tall and close to 300 was a factor also
dang it over 6 feet, a 5 foot 300 pounder would be odd

Back