• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First deer with a Lyman Great Plains Flintlock (Cen-Tex late season hunt)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got my first flintlock back in December and was determined to hunt with it this season. I did a lot of practicing and working with different loads. I had to file the front sight to bring the point of impact up. I got lots of good advice from members on this forum and it paid off today. The ranch I manage for wildlife lets me hunt so I went out this afternoon with expectations of taking a doe but instead, this poor looking buck came out at 66 yards (used a laser range finder) on my blind side so I carefully moved around and took the shot. I was hunting a pecan bottom so the smoke just hung for a while but I did see the direction the deer ran. When the smoke cleared, I could see him standing about 150 yards then he dropped. I went over to check him out and saw that my .50 caliber ball went through low just at the top of the leg. Broke the leg. After field dressing it, I saw that the ball took out the bottom of his heart. I couldn't find the ball but it may still be under the skin on the other side.

This buck needed to be taken out of the herd. This is the second one taken that looks like this. Apparently broke the antler during the growing stage. It is rare to see spikes on this property.

You hunters out there may be able to point me in the right direction. This is a Lyman GP rifle. I used 100 grs. of KiK 2F powder with a patched (.015) .490 ball. The rifles shoots well with a fouled barrel. The problem is the clean cold bore shot that impacts about 5 inches low. Windage is fine. I aimed high on the shoulder and it hit low but it took out the bottom of the heart. I noticed my patches were frayed on the ends and some torn in the middle. Is my powder charge too high? I would like to feel more confident that the rifle will shoot in the same close group no matter if it is a cold bore shot or not.

Truly enjoyed hunting with the flintlock. It takes more patience and discipline to hold steady due to the slight delay in ignition.

Attachments

• 20220131_170612 (1).jpg
    20220131_170612 (1).jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 20220131_170849 (1).jpg
    20220131_170849 (1).jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 117
Congratulations, Crew Chief. I, too, purchased a Lyman GPR this past Fall, only in percussion and 54 caliber. Using PRB's mine also shreds patches and burns holes, so it appears. 65 grains of FFFg is not as hot as 100 grains of FFg, more like equivalent to 80 grains of FFG. This is a common malady with these barrels. A number of posters in the Percussion forum advised to Scotchbrite the bore (good video to watch), which I did rigorously, and then topped that off with Scotchbrite and lapping compound. It has helped, not perfect all the time, and depends on the patching material, as to boot. Using two types of pillow ticking in my trials, still working out those bugs. Since smoothing out the bore I've loaded as many as 10 shots without needing to swab, where before it was nearly every other shot.

I recently changed out the Lyman replacement Mzlder sights that this older rifle came with and am now trying more primitive full buckhorn / Copper blade sights. As you are doing I am still filing the front sight to bring up the impact to the POA. Seems these GPR's contain similar experiences across the spectrum of owners. Before swapping these out, too, used my new/old rifle to kill a doe in Ohio's Mzlder Season early in January. I'm liking this rifle. It may not have the out of the box smooth barrel I am accustom to with T/C rifles purchased in the past, but it holds plenty appeal to keep working, tinkering and enjoying its use. Keep shooting and hunting and keeping us updated.

Congrats @Crew Chief! Try a thicker patch and see what that does for you. Mine shot all over the place till I made that change. Now all shots (clean or fouled barrel) fall in the same group.

Congratulations, Crew Chief. I, too, purchased a Lyman GPR this past Fall, only in percussion and 54 caliber. Using PRB's mine also shreds patches and burns holes, so it appears. 65 grains of FFFg is not as hot as 100 grains of FFg, more like equivalent to 80 grains of FFG. This is a common malady with these barrels. A number of posters in the Percussion forum advised to Scotchbrite the bore (good video to watch), which I did rigorously, and then topped that off with Scotchbrite and lapping compound. It has helped, not perfect all the time, and depends on the patching material, as to boot. Using two types of pillow ticking in my trials, still working out those bugs. Since smoothing out the bore I've loaded as many as 10 shots without needing to swab, where before it was nearly every other shot.

I recently changed out the Lyman replacement Mzlder sights that this older rifle came with and am now trying more primitive full buckhorn / Copper blade sights. As you are doing I am still filing the front sight to bring up the impact to the POA. Seems these GPR's contain similar experiences across the spectrum of owners. Before swapping these out, too, used my new/old rifle to kill a doe in Ohio's Mzlder Season early in January. I'm liking this rifle. It may not have the out of the box smooth barrel I am accustom to with T/C rifles purchased in the past, but it holds plenty appeal to keep working, tinkering and enjoying its use. Keep shooting and hunting and keeping us updated.

Chris,
I am having to wipe the barrel after 3 shots right now. You may be on to something. Going to try a lesser load then try thicker patch. That is the fun of messing with this old technology. I am also going to cone the barrel. Can't hurt.
J

Some say patches can become torn due to the sharp lands at the opening of the bore. My barrel wasn't sharp at the muzzle, but I still thumbed fine sandpaper at the crown to smooth it more. Balls load easily at that point of contact.

Some say patches can become torn due to the sharp lands at the opening of the bore. My barrel wasn't sharp at the muzzle, but I still thumbed fine sandpaper at the crown to smooth it more. Balls load easily at that point of contact.

I did that to mine last night.

Weather is not good. I am waiting for everything to dry out from the ice storm so I can go out and do some shooting to see if the Scotch Brite technique improved the barrel performance.

Congratulations! Any deer taken with a flintlock or percussion gun with open sights is a trophy. That’s one unattractive buck you took out of the herd, and it looks like a hormonal problem. If it’s a genetic issue, and you remove the other buck that has the same horns, you might be heading off at the pass a really big looming problem for the ranch. They will have bred does already, but you are removing real bad genetics in mature form there. Will the ranch allow you to go after the other buck? Might be too late this year, because antlers are dropping now in most places. About your patches, try buying some pure linen like at a Joanne’s Fabrics, and cutting a long patch that you double over. Makes a strong patch. I’m reusing most of my patches now, because they are in such good condition after the first shot.

Congratulations on your spike. Unique looking. If you haven't tried it by, now get some drill cloth. Tighter weave usually and holds up to 80grs 3F in my 54. Have picked up the patches and reused them. Dan.

Made meat, good job! My GPR in .54 started to smooth out about halfway through my second box of round balls. Groups tightened up and patches looked better.

Congratulations! Any deer taken with a flintlock or percussion gun with open sights is a trophy. That’s one unattractive buck you took out of the herd, and it looks like a hormonal problem. If it’s a genetic issue, and you remove the other buck that has the same horns, you might be heading off at the pass a really big looming problem for the ranch. They will have bred does already, but you are removing real bad genetics in mature form there. Will the ranch allow you to go after the other buck? Might be too late this year, because antlers are dropping now in most places. About your patches, try buying some pure linen like at a Joanne’s Fabrics, and cutting a long patch that you double over. Makes a strong patch. I’m reusing most of my patches now, because they are in such good condition after the first shot.

We have real good native genetics on the ranch but sometimes recessive genes will pop up. The few spikes we took are genetic spikes. Hopefully they didn't service any of the does but that is not a guarantee when we have a lot of bucks. The odd antler is from the damaged pedicle on the skull cap. That antler would have grown outward for the rest of his life if I hadn't taken him.

Going to try different patches and loads.

Congratulations on your spike. Unique looking. If you haven't tried it by, now get some drill cloth. Tighter weave usually and holds up to 80grs 3F in my 54. Have picked up the patches and reused them. Dan.

Dan, what kind of thickness can one expect from drill cloth? I have some twice washed pillow ticking that will compress to .018 which I am going to try. One variable at a time. Will also try reducing the load down to 70 grs./vol. then work up.

Latest posts

Back