• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First day with first flintlock. Didnt go well...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is my thinking right that I need the pick to be able to pierce the powder charge?
The purpose of picking the vent is to clear any obstructions in the vent hole. I rarely pick the vent hole, only if it doesn't fire and that's rare. If you can feel the powder it's clear, but pushing the pick into the powder is just moving it further away making it harder for the flash to reach it. You'll have to do some experimenting to figure out what your gun likes. Good luck!

The can says Goex FFFg. It did seem a little coarse, but my only experience is with Cartridge.

Decided to take a pic of the FFFg, compared to an old can of Cartridge. The "shine" is a bit different.
There is something off about the container on the left. As far as I know, GOEX BP has always come in flat sided containers like the one on the right (metal and the newer plastic). Substitute powders tend to come in round containers. In addition the label doesn’t look like a GOEX label and it states it's a "propellant solid" which I've never seen on a GOEX BP container.

Last edited:
I thoroughly cleaned and dried the touch hole plug, as well as the breach. I did come out with a small amount of grime, but not much, and cleaned till dry and clean.

I'd say a good part of my issue is the flint placement. I'm not always getting spark, and it isn't always what I'd think of good spark. I did get one good test firing, but it took a lot to get there. I also need to figure out just how much priming powder to use. I took a representative pic, but when I did get a good firing, I used about twice that. And it was a slow burn. I keep making sure that the pan and frizzen are clean and dry.
Until you get the rifle firing reliably don't try finessing the pan charge. Just fill the pan all the way up to the bottom of the touch hole.

What is that in the pan? Looks like gravel. Sure isn't what you want for priming powder.
Here are photographs of 3F and 4F in the pan of one of my Pedersolis, plus the OP’s photograph of 3F in his gun’s pan. Without a size reference closeup photographs might be deceptive.
1635097151444.jpeg
1635097172209.jpeg
1635097428847.jpeg

"pushing the pick into the powder is just moving it further away making it harder for the flash to reach it."
Amen to that!! I used to push my pick like crazy, and had way too many flash-in-the-pans! Now I just poke enough to make sure the touch hole is not blocked. Ignition is much more consistent.
Tom

From the picture you provided, it looks like your flint was installed sideways. I would try another if you can’t get that one sparking. Another thing that I do before I load my flintlock after storage is this; I take some brake cleaner and put the red provided straw in the squirting end.Put a small rag in pan up against the flash hole the. spray brake clean down barrel… not a lot .. but enough to make it pool in the breech end. Then I swab the barrel with a tight patch. Try not to get the brake clean on the finish, it could eat the finish, that’s what the little rag is for up against the touch hole.

This is good advise. My first day with my first flintlock, I assumed more powder in the pan is better. Not the case.
I like the prime to cover the full area in order to catch all sparks. Most of my flinters like the prime up to the TH centered. One likes the TH covered.
Make sure you are tapping the butt on the ground after filling with powder, and before the ball. You want to make sure the charge is right next to the TH. It will not always go there by just gravity alone, so help it by bumping the butt at least twice.
Larry

Are you sure you're not using a substitute powder instead of black powder?

Funny, was just coming to update. It seems my ignorance has gotten me hosed into now owning 5 pounds of Goex Pinnacle! When I bought it from the guy, he advertised as black powder. My own ignorance, and lack of reading glasses, qound up with me buying it.

I picked up 2 pounds of real 3Fg today, and did a quick test fire. Just as it should have gone.

I guess I got 5 pounds of Pinnacle for my Cap and Ball revolver...

I guess I got 5 pounds of Pinnacle for my Cap and Ball revolver...
Should work in a flintlock if you treat it similar to Pyrodex and use it with a small charge (10 grains or so) of blackpowder down the bore first followed by Pinnacle. The Pinnacle charge should be reduced by the amount of the blackpowder igniter or kicker charge. The easier to ignite blackpowder should set off the Pinnacle with minimal if any delay. I have done it with Pyrodex, but I have not tried it with Pinnacle. Someone will chime in if there is an issue doing the same with Pinnacle.

The plastic can I circled is NOT real black powder. That is a substitute that Goex put out several years ago. It’s junk in a flintlock. Worse than pyrodex in my opinion.

Attachments

• 5523A140-7F13-4C7F-A908-5C9148B57465.jpeg
    5523A140-7F13-4C7F-A908-5C9148B57465.jpeg
    27.8 KB · Views: 53
The plastic can I circled is NOT real black powder. That is a substitute that Goex put out several years ago. It’s junk in a flintlock. Worse than pyrodex in my opinion.
So Pinnacle doesn’t work well in a flintlock even with a blackpowder kicker charge under it? I would have expected it to light up if you jump started it with blackpowder.

So Pinnacle doesn’t work well in a flintlock even with a blackpowder kicker charge under it? I would have expected it to light up if you jump started it with blackpowder.

Well, since I have it already, I might as well give it a try next trip to the range.

That looked like Black MX. You really can't do the mix and match thing with
powders. the ignition point of real black is lower. With real BP drying up,
we will see more substitutes. And as has been said these "pre charge"
kickers will ignite substitutes---and is recommended by manufacturers
on some cans of substitutes. I'm afraid that we will see more use of the
substitutes and very likely more Brazilian powders imported (Elephant-
Diamondback types). However, the last Elephant I used was decent powder.

Well, since I have it already, I might as well give it a try next trip to the range.
I agree with you. Might be a PIA to load a kicker charge of BP, but can’t see why Pinnacle won’t work once you figure out how much BP to put under it. 5 pounds of BP would set you back $150 plus if you can find it. Also guessing you will pay more attention next time you buy powder. Call it experience or the school of hard knocks, we have all been there, or will be there at some point. At least you have an option that should work.

IMO, you don't have nearly enough powder in the pan. It should cover the bottom at minimum just to ensure the sparks are falling onto pan powder. fffg blackpowder will work as pan powder, and will also work as a kicker under that other stuff. I use a handgun cartridge case (38Spl, 357Mag, 45ACP) for a measure when duplexing fffg under another powder.

On occasion I’ll pour my 3f can onto a 40 mesh screen. I can normally come up with enough 4f that way for a day on the range. I will also grind up a small amount of 3f (a couple of table spoons) with a non static mortar and pestle and then screen. I learned years ago not to use the wifey’s from the kitchen unless you want the pestle chucked at your head. I think some nice fine powder in your pan will make a big difference.

On occasion I’ll pour my 3f can onto a 40 mesh screen. I can normally come up with enough 4f that way for a day on the range. I will also grind up a small amount of 3f (a couple of table spoons) with a non static mortar and pestle and then screen. I learned years ago not to use the wifey’s from the kitchen unless you want the pestle chucked at your head. I think some nice fine powder in your pan will make a big difference.
Wait, wait,,,, you mean there is 4f mixed in 3f and your gun doesn't blow up!
But I thought it blows up guns and causes death and or injury!
Well I'll be..........
🙄🤦‍♂️

Back