• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fired or un fired??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
which is worth more?? Got a Flintlock Fowler build coming home and wondering if I should fire it OR just pass it on and let someone else get the first shot. Thinking I may not fire it, just drool on it a bit before it gets moved on for someone else to enjoy. Opinions?

I personally prefer a gun that has been fired if it is a custom build. I want to know it works properly, in the case of the rifle the sights are such that they can be adjusted for the load, multi-barrel shotgun is regulated, rifle takes a certain sized ball/patch combo. If it started new from the Seller, I wouldn't want them to go shoot 100-rounds, but a dozen would be useful in my decision to buy or not and what price to pay.

I was told by the builder "It sparks pretty good". :thumb: Should be here Monday. Packed in some kind of a telescoping box/case? That should be interesting to see. Cost BIG $$$ to ship and well insured. :)
Rather than it being carried around in the truck, they'll hold it and when notified, I'll go to the PO pick it up in the AM. Love our Rural PO. :cool:

which is worth more?? Got a Flintlock Fowler build coming home and wondering if I should fire it OR just pass it on and let someone else get the first shot. Thinking I may not fire it, just drool on it a bit before it gets moved on for someone else to enjoy. Opinions?
..., unfired is new. Fired is used.

OR is unfired "untested"?
There are several companies selling modern stuff that will include the test target in the box of the "new" firearm, just purchased. Not to mention that states require of certain modern items a test casing for entry into a data base...,

If it's test fired at a target, I would still call it new, especially if I got a good phot of the test target and the load used, distance, etc... when I purchased

LD

Last edited:
Depends! Are you talking about fun,or are you talking about making a buck? Some enjoy guns just by looking and holding them. Me, I am a shooter!
You need to decide what you prefer. Usually a gun has more worth if unfired.
Larry

Had the kit/parts for 5 or 6 years. Got it from one of the guys here.
He probably thought the same as I did about building it but thought better and sold it before starting.

I started the build but for some reason got burned out in short order. My other BP rigs just sat so thought about moving them to another home where they would get a little more love than they were getting at home. Figured it best to get the "build" done rather than just sit around unfinished.
The lock and misc parts WERE in hiding for quite a while and when they came back out into the light of day, I found a Guy that offered to finish the build. :D Cost me a chunk of change but from the pictures, worth every bit. (Didn't expect to get it built for free) Sent pictures of a KILLER BUILD but I couldn't get them posted here so you'll have to wait for the Show and Tell. Thinking I might drool on it a bit before it gets a new home?

If the gun is being built by a well known name in muzzleloading it might add significant value down the road if it was unfired. Personally, I would shoot it and enjoy it. If you are less into shooting and enjoy the collecting aspect, then display it and enjoy it that way.

Guns sold here in the classifieds often bring a premium but not often a huge one.

Curious why you commissioned the building of the gun in the first place instead of just selling off the parts set? May answer your own question. Did you intend for it to be a wall hanger? Or something to ‘pass it on’ (or sell)? Or did you intend to shoot or hunt with it?

Wanted the "kit" to build somewhere along the line. Got into BP and got semi hooked. Picked up a few misfits that needed a little love.
The kit wasn't to build and sell. To build and shoot but that desire has subsided a bit.
While at the range shooting , a Guy showed up with a new Fowler. Liked the looks and couldn't get over how easy it was to swing. That's what hooked me.

First was an Italian percussion long gun. Got a "couple of them", one for me and one for a friend. Fired it a few times, put it away and picked up another gun for a song.
Thinking a "kit" that was a partial put together, fired and stood in the corner for a time. LOTS of FUZZ in the barrel. Worked the barrel over but didn't gain much. Replace the barrel and went after another project.
Found a CVA (kit??) replaced the barrel with a 32, fired it a few times and put it aside. Learned a BUNCH in the process.
That got me into the "kit" thing. Did some stock fitting, butt plate, added the barrel lugs and front sight and slowed down from there. And while thinking about thinning down the collection, figured it best to get the "kit gun" built. Parts laying around get lost over time.
The build spirit just wasn't that hot so I found a builder.

Last edited:
No guns have ever passed through my hands without getting fired, usually a LOT. I can't imagine owning a gun and never firing it.

There's an old allegory about a violin for auction. As the auctioneer went through the items for sale he finally came to the violin and called for bids. Two or three in the audience did bid on it but only a very small amount. Over several long moments of waiting no other bids were made. Then before the auctioneer could call SOLD an elderly gentleman raised his hand and walked to the front. He picked up the dusty violin and began to play. For several minutes the audience was entranced by the beautiful and exquisite music coming from the man's rosined bow. Then abruptly, he put the instrument back down and went back to his seat. Silence still filled the room when a hand went up and shouted a high starting bid. It cascaded from there to very large bids.

The violin was still the same dusty relic from someone's attic, so what had changed? The only difference was the touch of that gifted master's hand.
A fine rifle built by a master builder isn't a relic, it's a treasure to be used.

Last edited:
For me, guns are like guitars or trucks. They ain’t worth much if I can’t use them.

Even if unfired I still consider myself to be buying a used gun if someone besides the maker owned it before me. I know it makes little real difference, but I can’t help myself. 😁 That said, it’s your gun @Nor Cal Mikie do as you please and be satisfied it was your choice to make.

which is worth more?? Got a Flintlock Fowler build coming home and wondering if I should fire it OR just pass it on and let someone else get the first shot.
Your posted question is invalid in it's frame.
Because it's more than two issues combined.
Your basic question isn't about the value of a custom build, it's about marketing someone else's build to sell for recovery or profit.
If the gun is un-proven,, what warranty will you as the "middle-man" offer the buyer as to the reliability of the gun?
If the gun was received by you from the builder as "un-proven" how can you know it's functional before you sell it?
So it's not really a quandary about the value of a first shot is it? It's about the marketing approach you want to use and the value of the item you want to re-market for sale.

It's really nothing new at all,, folks buy un-fired guns all the time,, but that crate of 870's sitting at Cabelas has a proven history backed up with factory warranties and government patents to prove it'll function.

Last edited:
Back