• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fire arms in the safe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RHensley

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I saw a tread about the rifles we still have. I tried to take a few photos of the ones I still have. Thinking of making at least one or maybe two more. I'll be glad when it warms up so I can shoot the ones I still have. My camera skills aren't that good so maybe they'll show up. There's 2 with walnut stocks and the rest are striped maple. 3 of these are 54 with green mountain barrels and 2 are 45s. one with green mountain and the other colerain.
rifle 4.jpg
rifle 3.jpg
rifle 2.jpg

The left handed rifle with the lady patch box I built for the wife. I call it a kentucky short. The barrel is 36 inches long. she's a pretty good shot.

I have never seen a lady patch box. Thanks for showing it to us.

Fleener

The third one from the top is a 54 with a 38 in. barrel. I built it for my nephew in 1999 and gave it to him on his 10 birthday. We zeroed it in at a 100 yards. It started out as a percussion. He never got to hunt with it. He was killed in 2002 in a motocross accident and his mother brought it back to me. It's been in the safe since then. I changed it over to a flint lock last year. If possible I'll take a deer with it this year before I retire it again.

I really like that one, 38" .54 flintlock with a swamped barrel is my dream rifle...
One day... when I save enough money... it will happen.
This one is a straight barrel. 1 in by 38. It's really not that heavy. The top rifle is a 1 in by 42. I've hunted with that one since 85 and taken many deer with it. I built a 7/8 buy 42 last winter It's the 2 one down. It's also a straight barrel. Comepaired to the 42 on the top it's like carrying nothing. The maple stocks were all hard maple and had to use the acid before staining. I like the dark color. Some folks like the color a little lighter but to me the dark shows the inlays better.

I saw a tread about the rifles we still have. I tried to take a few photos of the ones I still have. Thinking of making at least one or maybe two more. I'll be glad when it warms up so I can shoot the ones I still have. My camera skills aren't that good so maybe they'll show up. There's 2 with walnut stocks and the rest are striped maple. 3 of these are 54 with green mountain barrels and 2 are 45s. one with green mountain and the other colerain. View attachment 3389 View attachment 3390 View attachment 3391
very nice. Anyone would be proud to own them

Back in 73 I built one that I hunted with for a couple of years and then let my brother have it. 38 barrel 50 cal Douglas barrel. This was my first and though it shot well i was never happy with it. It was a long gun built on the Penn. style but I was talked into a T/C percussion lock. Just doesn't look right. I found out it may be coming back to me and if so I'll confirm that the barrels still good and if so I'll remake the gun with a better stock and lock. It'll end up about 1 in. shorter but more period correct and I do like the flint lock. There are many good barrel companies out there but I really like the Douglas.

Back