• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally got my shotgun, need deciphering.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeMan

Blunderbuss
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
After a terrible experience with a gunbroker seller and their shipping blunder I finally got the double barrel I posted about a few weeks ago. I’m very pleased with it. Bores are really nice. Locks work well and it sports two new nipples. The bores measured that it’s about a 16 gauge. I now see it’s a Belgian gun. Seller stated there were no markings but there were plenty under the barrel. Can anyone decipher the remainder of the markings? No makers name anywhere on the gun. I’m sure it’s a cheap export but I like it.

Attachments

• 570B1D5C-C694-4203-A642-D723AB35CF8A.jpeg
    570B1D5C-C694-4203-A642-D723AB35CF8A.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 153
  • 8DEECE56-330A-4BDB-95C1-E19C43B8C76F.jpeg
    8DEECE56-330A-4BDB-95C1-E19C43B8C76F.jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 6A1C22D5-ABCA-413D-A74D-B22FE7B6F4C9.jpeg
    6A1C22D5-ABCA-413D-A74D-B22FE7B6F4C9.jpeg
    320.2 KB · Views: 177
  • B027247C-6F40-4B46-A86C-373F5E5F74C6.jpeg
    B027247C-6F40-4B46-A86C-373F5E5F74C6.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 184
  • 5EF9148A-04F4-43FF-96A1-BF6E09987882.jpeg
    5EF9148A-04F4-43FF-96A1-BF6E09987882.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 179
Have you decided on a load for the SxS yet? I have three original SxSs and I normally try and keep the loads at about 60 grains of powder just out of respect for the old guns.

Have you decided on a load for the SxS yet? I have three original SxSs and I normally try and keep the loads at about 60 grains of powder just out of respect for the old guns.
I shot it quite a bit today. Square loads of 60 gr of 2F and #6 shot. I killed a can with every shot at 25 yards. I’ll piddle with it one day soon and see how it patterns. Today I just used TOW over powder and shot.

That is a nice one. I use a Belgian 15 ga double. The load is 2 1/2 drams of 777 and an ounce of shot. There is a thin over powder wad, half a cushion wad, shot, and an over shot wad in the load on top of the powder. The gun patterns well. I have used this one at Friendship at 10 yards from the trap house. In the small bore match (30 birds) I broke 25 a few years ago. I didn't place, but was very happy with that. A good thing about many Belgian barrels is that they were brazed instead of being soft soldered. Not many spring loose ribs in use. Enjoy the new gun.

The scroll intertwining EL is a provisional black powder mark introduced 1853, the ELG with* in an oval is the black powder proof for muzzle loading shotguns The * was introduced in 1891. The crown over W is a bit of a mystery as it is a German proof mark for a rifled barrel .
I do note one very interesting thing in the picture of you firing the gun , there is a red streak of flame coming out of the platinum plug on the side of the breach just below the nipple , I have felt the effect of these vents many times and they can hurt , but have never seen one working , these vents were fitted to firearms in the first part percussion era , I believe it was thought this vent would some how make the gun softer to shoot , like a flintlock . Maybe someone on this forum knows more about this .Nice looking gun

I do note one very interesting thing in the picture of you firing the gun , there is a red streak of flame coming out of the platinum plug on the side of the breach just below the nipple , I have felt the effect of these vents many times and they can hurt , but have never seen one working , these vents were fitted to firearms in the first part percussion era , I believe it was thought this vent would some how make the gun softer to shoot , like a flintlock . Maybe someone on this forum knows more about this .Nice looking gun
Yeoow! Hopefully its just sideflame from the cap. If its a leaking blow out plug could be serious. Have seen nipples with side vents and solid plugs (sometimes in platinum) but never a vented plug. Consider investigating to see whats up. I close up pic of the lock/plug would be interesting

I have a 12 gauge in what looks to be made at same place as yours. Mine has same checkering on butt stock.
Mine has 32 inch barrels. I am in need of a ram rod for my shotgun.

The scroll intertwining EL is a provisional black powder mark introduced 1853, the ELG with* in an oval is the black powder proof for muzzle loading shotguns The * was introduced in 1891. The crown over W is a bit of a mystery as it is a German proof mark for a rifled barrel .

The intertwined EL stands for ÉPREUVE LIÉGE - the stamp of the Liége Proof House. ELG also stands for Épreuve Liége. The crown over ANY letter of the alphabet except I, J, Q and O is an inspector's stamp. They were free to adopt any letter except those previously noted.

Yeoow! Hopefully its just sideflame from the cap. If its a leaking blow out plug could be serious. Have seen nipples with side vents and solid plugs (sometimes in platinum) but never a vented plug. Consider investigating to see whats up. I close up pic of the lock/plug would be interesting
I think it’s just a cap flash. There aren’t any vents on it. It has new nipples and everything is nice and tight.

I think it’s just a cap flash. There aren’t any vents on it. It has new nipples and everything is nice and tight.
The cap flash is tiny and should have gone before the shot left the barrel . A lot of those guns had a vent hole it is tiny and can be concealed in the middle of a slot which looks like a screw driver slot . It is not a leak or a fault it is deliberate . If you don't have a vent then you have a problem .This is one of the very first Purdy caplock rifles .62 , you can see the vent as a line of carbon on the side of the platinum plug , it is a tiny pin hole almost impossible to see when clean . I have been sprayed from this vent on a regular basis , it isn't as bad as that from a flintlock .
20220116_110913.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back