• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally Found That Antique Anvil I Been Huntin'

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every anvil I have ever seen has a hollow base. I don't know why. Mine only weighs 55 pounds and has a hollow base. It was made in China and has a wrought iron base and a tool steel face. It's been a nice carry-around anvil for doing exhibitions and such. I got it at Fleet Farm many years ago for $25.00. Wish I had a box car full of 'em as it has been a very nice tool.

Update:

Got about 99 and a half projects going all at once but I finally got around to finding a healthy chunk of white oak out of a buddy's firewood log pile. Got it home and wrestled it around with my Stihl 362 and my angle grinder and came out the other side with a pretty good looking anvil base.

I still want to steel band the top and the bottom of it, and carve out three very short "legs" so to speak on the flat base so it will set without rocking anywhere on my (poorly done) concrete floor, but I needed to use it a couple weeks ago to forge some rustic looking corner support brackets for the new gun building bench I'm also working on.

So at some point I'll swing back around and finish this anvil base like I see it in my mind.

View attachment 200257
The "nose" on my anvil is not as long as this one. I go to lots of auctions, and any time an anvil comes up for sale, even small ones, there's a tremendous bidding for them. Many anvils got scrapped when the old railroads were modernized, war-time scrap drives, etc. Many were simply dumped into landfills or ravines, but today's modern interest in home blacksmithing has bee good for them.

Poplar WILL rot. Get some white oak... and maybe treat it with something if it is outdoors all the time.
Good advice! I'll know that in a few years. The man who cut my stump is in the lumber business and said poplar won't rot, but I'm skeptical. I got if for free, so no money wasted! White Oak it is, next time; yes, it's outdoors all the time.

Many anvils got scrapped when the old railroads were modernized, war-time scrap drives, etc. Many were simply dumped into landfills or ravines, but today's modern interest in home blacksmithing has bee good for them.

When Northern forces marched through the South they set about destroying anything they found that helped the Confederacy in the war effort. Blacksmith shops were a favorite target. Many a good old anvil across the South was smashed with sledge hammers until it was unusable. You'll find old antique anvils with the horns broken off and long gone. That's probably how they got broke.

I cut down a 3' diameter poplar and cut a slice out of it for a tomahawk target. I soaked it in used motor oil and it sat outside for at least ten years. It had shrunk down to a little over 2', but still caught a hawk with no problem.
Robby

I made this stand for my anvil from 2 x 10's, it holds it steady and will take all the beating I can give it. The picture doesn't show it well, the footprint is larger than the surface holding the anvil.
IMG_0689.jpeg

Another piece of that old poplar tree.
IMG_0691.jpeg

Robby

Great! I have an antique un-marked anvil that weighs at 274 lbs.; would need the resurfacing restoration, I guess, if actually used. It sits on a large poplar stump in my yard; a neighbor has offered to buy it twice, (he's amateur) and came by with his sons to lift it onto the stump for me; the older stump rotted away, I'm told poplar will not rot (?). Will know in a few years! My anvil sat in front of a neighbor's house for 50+ years as I grew up; when he retired, he sold it to me for $500. Thanks for your nice photo.
poplar will absolutely rot both of mine have been on rail road ties

I got an 80# one like that years ago, I traded a horse shoeing job to an old woman down on the reservation. She used to shoe her own, but had got too old for the job. I gave it to my nephew last summer, as I have also got too old!

Nah.....

That'll tear up my concrete over time and it's in bad enough shape as it is. I'll stick with the plan, because it's the best plan. 3 slightly hollowed out areas plus the center, leaving 3 equidistant bumps around the perimeter for it to solidly stand on.

Neighbor of mine has become blacksmithing crazy. He makes knives , and set up a forge under his porch. He found an anvil at the local flea mkt. with a very rough surface on top. Took it to an Amish Machine shop, and they welded up all the fishers in the top . We picked it up , and the surface was mirror shiny. Should of asked the guy that welded it up , what process he used to fill the damaged anvil top ,mig or arc welder. Oh well , will go ask another day.

My anvil seems to be cast iron, un-marked, with a steel top face on it. I need some books or references on how to re-finish or 'polish' to top; I saw mention on here of using a belt sander? Any suggestions appreciated; I'm not planning on using it "for real", but gaining knowledge of anvils would be good.

I thought that I replied to this thread yesterday, but maybe not.
As for the legs you plan to put on the stump, consider drilling some pilot holes in the bottom and pound in three railroad spikes for feet.

I thought that I replied to this thread yesterday, but maybe not.
As for the legs you plan to put on the stump, consider drilling some pilot holes in the bottom and pound in three railroad spikes for feet.

And the same answer today.......

Nah

That'll tear up my concrete over time and it's in bad enough shape as it is. I'll stick with the plan, because it's the best plan. 3 slightly hollowed out areas plus the center, leaving 3 equidistant bumps around the perimeter for it to solidly stand on.

Congrats on your find ! I've had three or four anvils and like my own trade guns , have had to sell them off when times got tough . Happy forging !! :)
Been there and done that with those tough times. In a place now I'm slowly building myself back up and should be in a position where I don't have to hock my stuff just to get by. I'm almost debt free, the kids are grown and thriving, wife has long been ex now and remarried, and I'm looking forward to just being a hermit on a hill who likes piddle in the shop and make stuff. It took long enough to get here but I'm looking forward to it.

Back