• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally found one

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Butler

32 Cal.
Reaction score
TC 32 cal.JPG

I have wanted one of these forever and finally found one in a Gun Shop yesterday. TC 32 cal. In very good condition. The barrel is not marked Seneca or Cherokee and is 24". Could use some help with suggested loads.

Looks like an early Cherokee. Try 15-20 grains of 3f with a .015 patch. Sight in dead on at 25 yards, and you will only be 1" low at 50. That is my squirrel load, and 50 yards is about as far as I would attempt to shoot a squirrel with open sights and my eyes.

I would start off with the .310 and a .015 patch to see how it shoots. I have one .32 that prefers a .315 ball with a .015 patch. Tighter fit, but the improvement in accuracy is worth the extra effort. This gun will keep all shots withing a quarter (from the bench) at 25 yards. My target .32, a 30" Renegade barrel with a tang rear sight and globe front sight, won't shoot worth a darn unless I use a .320 ball and .010 patch. This is strictly a bench gun as the barrel weighs over 6# itself. This gun will keep all shots pretty much in one hole at 25 yards if I do my part.
You will have fun with your new gun. The small calibers are fun to shoot, and they don't pound your shoulder, or burn up lots of powder.

Those guns are supposed to have a 1/30 twist so they would shoot well with light charges of powder Like 10-15grs of 3F and have enough spin for stability of the ball. And you did good with your find.

Congratulations on finding a great little rifle.
For what it’s worth, I believe the T/C .32 round ball mold I have is .315. I have a number of Cherokees but I have to mash my cheek onto the comb to get my eye low enough. Maybe taller sights would work better for me? I don’t have the same issue with Senecas.

TC info on your rifle
Cherokee

32 cal RB (.315", 47gn)

30 gns FFFg 1714 fps 307 FT Lbs
40 gns FFFg 1929 fps 388 FT Lbs
50 gns FFFg 2055 fps 441 FT Lbs ( Max! in red writing)

32 cal Maxi-ball 103gn)

30 gns FFFg 1418 fps 460 FT Lbs
40 gns FFFg 1628 fps 606 FT Lbs
50 gns FFFg 1749 fps 700 FT Lbs ( Max! in red writing)

For Use With .32 Caliber Cherokee
& Seneca Rifles
Patches Lubricated with Bore Butter
Use a #11 Percussion Cap
.32 Caliber Rifle
Black Powder &
Round Ball Loads
.315" Diameter
Lead Ball
Weight (Grains)
Black Powder
Charge (Grains)
Muzzle Velocity
(Feet Per Second)
Muzzle Energy
(Foot Pounds)
47 Grain
Lead Ball
30 grs. FFFG 1714 F.P.S. 307 Ft. Lbs.
40 grs. FFFG 1929 F.P.S. 388 Ft. Lbs.
50 grs. FFFG 2055 F.P.S. 441 Ft. Lbs

.32 Caliber
Lead Bullet
Weight (Grains)
Black Powder
Charge (Grains)
Muzzle Velocity
(Feet Per Second)
Muzzle Energy
(Foot Pounds)
103 Grain
Lead Bullet
30 grs. FFFG 1418 F.P.S. 460 Ft. Lbs.
40 grs. FFFG 1628 F.P.S. 606 Ft. Lbs.
50 grs. FFFG 1749 F.P.S. 700 Ft. Lbs.

Unless you are hunting game larger than a cottontail my Cherokee shoots great with 15 grains of FFFg a .310 ball and thin pillow ticking. If I am hunting turkey, or predators I double the load. I have also shot several feral hogs with the 30 grain load.

TC info on your rifle
Cherokee

32 cal RB (.315", 47gn)

30 gns FFFg 1714 fps 307 FT Lbs
40 gns FFFg 1929 fps 388 FT Lbs
50 gns FFFg 2055 fps 441 FT Lbs ( Max! in red writing)

32 cal Maxi-ball 103gn)

30 gns FFFg 1418 fps 460 FT Lbs
40 gns FFFg 1628 fps 606 FT Lbs
50 gns FFFg 1749 fps 700 FT Lbs ( Max! in red writing)

For Use With .32 Caliber Cherokee
& Seneca Rifles
Patches Lubricated with Bore Butter
Use a #11 Percussion Cap
.32 Caliber Rifle
Black Powder &
Round Ball Loads
.315" Diameter
Lead Ball
Weight (Grains)
Black Powder
Charge (Grains)
Muzzle Velocity
(Feet Per Second)
Muzzle Energy
(Foot Pounds)
47 Grain
Lead Ball
30 grs. FFFG 1714 F.P.S. 307 Ft. Lbs.
40 grs. FFFG 1929 F.P.S. 388 Ft. Lbs.
50 grs. FFFG 2055 F.P.S. 441 Ft. Lbs

.32 Caliber
Lead Bullet
Weight (Grains)
Black Powder
Charge (Grains)
Muzzle Velocity
(Feet Per Second)
Muzzle Energy
(Foot Pounds)
103 Grain
Lead Bullet
30 grs. FFFG 1418 F.P.S. 460 Ft. Lbs.
40 grs. FFFG 1628 F.P.S. 606 Ft. Lbs.
50 grs. FFFG 1749 F.P.S. 700 Ft. Lbs.

I built my Cherokee 32 years ago and loved to squirrel hunt with it. I started out using the maxiball but quickly moved to round balls as Maxi's are overkill for squirrel. 30 grains produced hammer blow back. 20 gr are perfect, though. I would shoot a coyote at close range, if given the opportunity.

My 32 Cherokee uses a .310 ball and .018 pillow ticking lubed with either TOW Mink oil or Hoppes BP lube its a lot of fun with 20 grains of 3f Swiss.

Just helped a guy before Thanksgiving get a Seneca .32 sighted in. He found the gun at some flea market a year ago and has had it in his safe since then. He was not a BP shooter so his interest was not high until he went to an "encampment" and then decided he wanted to shot his "little gun."

Its in like new condition so we started from scratch..... To make a long story short, the darn thing shoots almost one hole groups at 25 yds. with 20 gr. 3fffG Goex, a .310 RB and .015 patch.

He was happy at 25 yards and said that was good enough for now. After the weather breaks we are going to do some reshaping etc. to the gun......

Just helped a guy before Thanksgiving get a Seneca .32 sighted in. He found the gun at some flea market a year ago and has had it in his safe since then. He was not a BP shooter so his interest was not high until he went to an "encampment" and then decided he wanted to shot his "little gun."

Its in like new condition so we started from scratch..... To make a long story short, the darn thing shoots almost one hole groups at 25 yds. with 20 gr. 3fffG Goex, a .310 RB and .015 patch.

He was happy at 25 yards and said that was good enough for now. After the weather breaks we are going to do some reshaping etc. to the gun......
.32 Senecas are the rarest of the lot, they sell for a bunch when they turn up on GB.

Last edited:
Back