• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Filling a powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padre

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question, but how do you fill a powder horn through the neck easily? I've only used a horn that accepts a funnel so far, but I've just bought a nice Cureton horn and there's only one small hole in the neck!
Thanks in advance for your help.

Padre

Howdy! I use a Ted Cash brass funnel for filling mine. TOTW sells them the last time I checked. You can also use a peice of paper rolled up wide on one end and tapering down small on the other.Works just as good and a heck of a lot cheaper! Have a good un!!! :thumbsup:

I just use a piece of stiff paper, folded in half...pour the powder into the fold, use one end of the fold like a funnel...Hank

I took a lid off of a empty can of powder and cut the rim off of a spent cartridge and put o hole in the lid and stuck the case up through the hole and soldered it in place about 25 years ago. Screw that on the can of new powder and upend it on the mouth of yer horn. Works like a champ. No fuss no muss and no spills!!!

...I just roll up a piece of paper into a cone small enough to fit the opening...

Next time your at the doctor - see if he'll give you the little black funnels used to check ones ears and such ...... they work great.

:grin: Here's what I did, and it works fine for me. One caseing is .243 and the other is .223. I believe this is what Cooner54 is describing in his reply to you.
goexcaps.jpg
[/img] :grin:

They make a plastic spout that fit right on Goex powder cans, I think the spout cost ? $ 1.50 or so. Really makes it easy. Also if you are filling a light colored horn you can hold a light to the horn & look down the hole & see how full the horn is, as the horn will let the light thru above the powder.. This is how I know how much is in my flashpan powderhorns as not to overfill them.
:thumbsup:

My horn has about a 5/16 hole in it. I use a cut off .30-30 shell as it just fits the hole, and flows a little better.

Thanks everybody! I was thinking the rolled up paper idea before I posted, but just thought I'd see what everybody else does. Sure are some good ideas there!

Padre said:
This is probably a dumb question, but how do you fill a powder horn through the neck easily? I've only used a horn that accepts a funnel so far, but I've just bought a nice Cureton horn and there's only one small hole in the neck!
Thanks in advance for your help.

Padre

I thought I had posted this last time the subject came up. Consists of common kitchen funnel and some painter's masking tape. (leaves no residue)

P1010002.jpg

Back